Author Topic: It's coming..........  (Read 33592 times)

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
Re: It's coming..........
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2013, 07:56:29 AM »
I cannot believe up here in the Northeast, no dang snow!!! ::bashing:: It is not New England without it. Mebbe I should do a little snow dance to appease the Gods?? ::snoopydance::

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2013, 08:51:07 AM »
Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 6 am CST
Thursday...

A Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 6 am CST Thursday.

* Snow accumulations: 6 to 10 inches... with the heaviest amounts
across central Minnesota. Isolated higher amounts approaching
one foot near Lake Mille lacs and Mora.

* Timing: periods of heavy snow today... tapering off this evening.
Northwest winds will increase and become gusty tonight. The
gusty winds will produce blowing and drifting snow and near
blizzard conditions across western Minnesota and along the
Minnesota River Valley.

* Impacts: travel will be dangerous today... with morning and
afternoon commutes greatly impacted.

::snoshovel::

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2013, 09:56:27 AM »
Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 6 am CST
Thursday...

A Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 6 am CST Thursday.

* Snow accumulations: 6 to 10 inches... with the heaviest amounts
across central Minnesota. Isolated higher amounts approaching
one foot near Lake Mille lacs and Mora.

* Timing: periods of heavy snow today... tapering off this evening.
Northwest winds will increase and become gusty tonight. The
gusty winds will produce blowing and drifting snow and near
blizzard conditions across western Minnesota and along the
Minnesota River Valley.

* Impacts: travel will be dangerous today... with morning and
afternoon commutes greatly impacted.

::snoshovel::

Safe travels!!

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
Mountains of snow reignite fears over emergency access in (Calgary)
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2013, 10:41:08 AM »
Mountains of snow reignite fears over emergency access in northeast neighbourhoods

BY ANNALISE KLINGBEIL, CALGARY HERALD DECEMBER 4, 2013 6:29 AM

Mountains of snow reignite fears over emergency access in northeast neighbourhoods

Massive snow drifts that blocked streets in a number of north Calgary communities had stranded residents worried again about emergency access to their neighbourhoods.

High winds created huge piles of snow on the streets in several northeast communities, including SkyView Ranch, Redstone, Saddleridge and Whitehorn.

Snow drifts created similar fears in that part of the city during a major snowstorm in 2009.

Among those affected by nearly impassable roads was an ambulance transporting Coun. Jim Stevenson to the Peter Lougheed Hospital on Monday evening after the Ward 3 councillor fell outside of his Coral Springs home and broke his leg.

“The ambulance got stuck in the snow trying to bring me to the hospital,” said Stevenson, speaking from his hospital room on Tuesday while waiting for surgery.

With the help of citizens, including Stevenson’s wife, the emergency vehicle was eventually pushed free.

“It was a long process,” Stevenson said.

Issa Khalil has been stuck in his Whitehorn home since Monday with his wife and three young children. Large snow drifts in front of his home, which he says emergency vehicles would not be able to navigate, are causing Khalil to worry about his family’s safety.

“It’s almost like a state of emergency for us as far as not being able to receive any kind of medical attention or if a fire were to break out,” he said.

“It’s very frustrating. You get a sense of worry after awhile.”

When his son had a high fever Monday night, Khalil said he couldn’t get his truck off of his snowy street to take the two-year-old to the hospital. Calling an ambulance wasn’t an option either, he said.

“Not even pickup trucks can get through, no emergency vehicles, no fire trucks, nothing like that,” he said.

While Tylenol relieved his son’s fever, Khalil said he’s frustrated and worried, especially after he was told by the city that it could be up to five days before his street is cleared of snow.

“I’ve never seen the snow that high in my entire life. Some cars are so completely submerged in snow you can’t see them anymore,” he said.

EMS spokesman Adam Loria said Tuesday afternoon that no ambulances had been stranded or in need of a tow since the blizzard began.

“If we believe there’s an area that’s impassable or we may get in but not out of, we will play it safe and walk that extra bit with our equipment,” he said.

Fire spokeswoman Carol Henke said while crews have been kept busy responding to many traffic collisions, she was not aware of any issues with fire trucks getting stuck on snow-covered residential streets.

Like I said, "It's coming....."

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/Mountains+snow+reignite+fears+over+emergency+access/9243359/story.html
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
Re: Mountains of snow reignite fears over emergency access in (Calgary)
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2013, 10:55:01 AM »

BY ANNALISE KLINGBEIL, CALGARY HERALD DECEMBER 4, 2013 6:29 AM

Massive snow drifts that blocked streets in a number of north Calgary communities had stranded residents worried again about emergency access to their neighbourhoods.

High winds created huge piles of snow on the streets in several northeast communities, including SkyView Ranch, Redstone, Saddleridge and Whitehorn.

Snow drifts created similar fears in that part of the city during a major snowstorm in 2009.

Among those affected by nearly impassable roads was an ambulance transporting Coun. Jim Stevenson to the Peter Lougheed Hospital on Monday evening after the Ward 3 councillor fell outside of his Coral Springs home and broke his leg.

“The ambulance got stuck in the snow trying to bring me to the hospital,” said Stevenson, speaking from his hospital room on Tuesday while waiting for surgery.

With the help of citizens, including Stevenson’s wife, the emergency vehicle was eventually pushed free.

“It was a long process,” Stevenson said.

Issa Khalil has been stuck in his Whitehorn home since Monday with his wife and three young children. Large snow drifts in front of his home, which he says emergency vehicles would not be able to navigate, are causing Khalil to worry about his family’s safety.

“It’s almost like a state of emergency for us as far as not being able to receive any kind of medical attention or if a fire were to break out,” he said.

“It’s very frustrating. You get a sense of worry after awhile.”

When his son had a high fever Monday night, Khalil said he couldn’t get his truck off of his snowy street to take the two-year-old to the hospital. Calling an ambulance wasn’t an option either, he said.

“Not even pickup trucks can get through, no emergency vehicles, no fire trucks, nothing like that,” he said.

While Tylenol relieved his son’s fever, Khalil said he’s frustrated and worried, especially after he was told by the city that it could be up to five days before his street is cleared of snow.

“I’ve never seen the snow that high in my entire life. Some cars are so completely submerged in snow you can’t see them anymore,” he said.

EMS spokesman Adam Loria said Tuesday afternoon that no ambulances had been stranded or in need of a tow since the blizzard began.

“If we believe there’s an area that’s impassable or we may get in but not out of, we will play it safe and walk that extra bit with our equipment,” he said.

Fire spokeswoman Carol Henke said while crews have been kept busy responding to many traffic collisions, she was not aware of any issues with fire trucks getting stuck on snow-covered residential streets.

Like I said, "It's coming....."

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/Mountains+snow+reignite+fears+over+emergency+access/9243359/story.html
I believe it when I see it!!! Did you put the plow on the tractor yet??

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2013, 11:26:19 AM »

No. I can get the mowing deck off with no sweat. BUT - the plow's too heavy for me (200+ lbs) to move around to install it. (My back & knees won't allow that.) My neighbor (the ex-football player) or my son will help me do it. No panic now though - no snow is forecasted for us - yet. We'll put in on in my small barn, out of any weather problems.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2013, 11:32:25 AM »

No. I can get the mowing deck off with no sweat. BUT - the plow's too heavy for me (200+ lbs) to move around to install it. (My back & knees won't allow that.) My neighbor (the ex-football player) or my son will help me do it. No panic now though - no snow is forecasted for us - yet. We'll put in on in my small barn, out of any weather problems.
Well please be careful when you do plan on doing so.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2013, 11:34:54 AM »
It's always days like this where the snow and wind is flying that Darwinism in action becomes most visible...you can see the idiots coming a mile off (well, a mile off if the snow and wind would let the bleep up!),,,it's literally like seeing things in slow motion...

...aaaaand....into the ditch!  All four tires, buried good, yes you are a complete dumbass!

::hysterical::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2013, 11:37:07 AM »
Well please be careful when you do plan on doing so.

Oh, yeah. No problems there!

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2013, 11:38:41 AM »
It's always days like this where the snow and wind is flying that Darwinism in action becomes most visible...you can see the idiots coming a mile off (well, a mile off if the snow and wind would let the bleep up!),,,it's literally like seeing things in slow motion...

...aaaaand....into the ditch!  All four tires, buried good, yes you are a complete dumbass!

Every winter some ijits get decapitated when they drive their snow machines under and into a wire fence. Not a pretty sight.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2013, 04:32:59 PM »

The one year we got 21 inches (yes, in NC), we were on our way to the store (yes, somebody  ::)  didn't get there beforehand) some young idjit came flying down the single track-set around the curve, hit the brakes and slid sideways off the road.  Bald tires, pickup truck w/empty bed (betcha the gas tank was almost empty too).  He gets out of the truck -- plastic bags outside his shoes -- and almost takes a header.  Gunsmith had put the come-along in our truck, so he pulled the fool's truck back onto the road while I lectured his ass.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2013, 07:10:38 AM »

The one year we got 21 inches (yes, in NC), we were on our way to the store (yes, somebody  ::)  didn't get there beforehand) some young idjit came flying down the single track-set around the curve, hit the brakes and slid sideways off the road.  Bald tires, pickup truck w/empty bed (betcha the gas tank was almost empty too).  He gets out of the truck -- plastic bags outside his shoes -- and almost takes a header.  Gunsmith had put the come-along in our truck, so he pulled the fool's truck back onto the road while I lectured his ass.

Top it off with a slap upside the noodle and a warning "not to pull shyt like that around here again!  Now git!".

I had one idjit cut right in front of me this morning!  The roads are clear of snow now but with the temp dipping there are alternating patches of road and ice, and this jackass cuts right in behind one turnip and threatens to make mincemeat of me!  I backed off, flipped my high-beams (and although it had no chance of seeing it) flipped it the bird!

Dumbass!

And it is colder than Hillary Clinton's bed this morning! 

(For the curious I think that level of cold is somewhere at or near absolute zero)

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2013, 09:28:38 AM »
Still no snow!! The Holidays doesn't feel the same without snow..... ::whatgives::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2013, 11:24:05 AM »
Still have time...have faith!

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2013, 11:27:00 AM »

I hope when it happens, it isn't a storm with 3' of white crap.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2013, 11:47:17 AM »

Now ya jinxed it!   ::rolllaughing::

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #96 on: December 05, 2013, 02:03:34 PM »

Now ya jinxed it!   ::rolllaughing::

Nah. Que Sera Sera.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2013, 04:05:45 PM »
Something about winter weather really brings out the morons.  You have the garden variety morons who are barely able to navigate a motorway on a normal day, and the addition of winter weather is simply more than they can withstand. But I'm not talking about those morons. I'm talking about the ones who, for some reason, take snow and ice as their cue to become more aggressive in traffic. I have seen this so many times.

I'm not sure what motivates it. Are they trying to show what badasses they are? I mean who but an abject fool tailgates on slush and ice covered roads? I'm betting these people have never attempted an emergency stop in those conditions just to see how different it is.

Also there's no such thing as "all season" tires. They might be fine if you live somewhere that gets a little snow that melts in a day or two. But if you're going to be driving in it regularly, get real winter tires. With winter tires I can go just about anywhere in a front wheel drive car. I'd rather drive a 2WD car with winter tires than a 4WD without.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2013, 05:21:05 PM »
And the ijits who just KNOW that AWD or 4WD will stop them faster that 2WD.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2013, 05:59:37 PM »
Something about winter weather really brings out the morons.  You have the garden variety morons who are barely able to navigate a motorway on a normal day, and the addition of winter weather is simply more than they can withstand. But I'm not talking about those morons. I'm talking about the ones who, for some reason, take snow and ice as their cue to become more aggressive in traffic. I have seen this so many times.

I'm not sure what motivates it. Are they trying to show what badasses they are? I mean who but an abject fool tailgates on slush and ice covered roads? I'm betting these people have never attempted an emergency stop in those conditions just to see how different it is.

Also there's no such thing as "all season" tires. They might be fine if you live somewhere that gets a little snow that melts in a day or two. But if you're going to be driving in it regularly, get real winter tires. With winter tires I can go just about anywhere in a front wheel drive car. I'd rather drive a 2WD car with winter tires than a 4WD without.

I've tried saying this in conversation only to have people ask me if I'm afraid to drive in snow. Because of course they know how to drive in bad weather.

A couple of years ago we were driving through Michigan when we came upon 100% ice covered roads.  So we crept along at about 25 mph in the right lane behind others doing the same.  In the left lane goes the SUVs speeding by and couple miles up we pass them in the ditch and one was even upside down (no one hurt). How could you be so stupid?
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."