Author Topic: Perry vs Rove & Bush  (Read 2259 times)

charlesoakwood

Perry vs Rove & Bush
« on: August 06, 2011, 09:30:01 AM »

Perry vs Rove & Bush
[blockquote]
Politico
If Texas Gov. Rick Perry ultimately decides to run for president, it would shake up the Republican race, ... But it could also make things tricky for another powerful Texan — Karl Rove.
GOP’s best known political operative, had a falling out with Perry and his staff when Bush was governor in the 1990s that has become the stuff of Lone Star lore. ...
With no signs the two have patched things up — and with some suggestion that Rove, or at least his team, is tilting toward Romney —  ::hysterical::

[Tilting, tilting?  No, not tilting, it's head over heels I'm yours, let's win one for the Country Club, dear Romney.]
[/blockquote]

[blockquote]
LA Times

If Perry runs for president, his critics hope to tie him to Bush and those who delivered the self-assured Texan from Austin to the Oval Office.

"Is America ready for a president who was George W. Bush's lieutenant governor, who was George W. Bush's successor as governor ... and who, like George W. Bush, was also a Karl Rove puppet?" taunts Garry South, a Democratic consultant, referring to Bush's strategist.

But that jibe ignores what has been, at best, a cool relationship between Bush and Perry, and a lingering hostility between their top political advisors.

The two share some characteristics, sometimes unnervingly so. They have similar accents, the same cowboy gait and many of the same mannerisms. But the two come from starkly different backgrounds, approach politics in utterly different fashions and even draw their support from different parts of the GOP. It is the difference, said a campaign consultant who has worked with both, between Yale and Texas A&M, between Phillips Academy Andover and Paint Creek High School.

To a certain upper crust of Republican, "Perry is the low-rent country cousin" who lacks Bush's prep-school polish, said R.G. Ratcliffe, a longtime student of Texas politics who is writing a book about Perry. "They see him as a hick and are embarrassed having someone like that as governor."

Privately, the former president has spoken of his successor as a political lightweight and someone not all that bright. Perry scoffs behind closed doors at Bush's privileged background and popularity among country-club Republicans, suggesting the New England native is a faux Texan.

Perry's story is the kind of up-by-his-bootstraps saga that Bush might have scripted for himself, had he been able.
Perry winning would be a deathblow for Rove,” said this person, who did not want to be identified talking about political contribution strategies.
[/blockquote]

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Perry vs Rove & Bush
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 09:49:44 AM »
Rove already had his "deathblow". It's called the Tea Party.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 01:36:18 PM »

I must respectfully disagree.  Rove is as alive and well as the Country Club Party and is one of the apple's of its eye.  He will not be discredited until their is no Country Club and the golf course has been razed to the ground.

Offline Janny

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 02:52:28 PM »

I must respectfully disagree.  Rove is as alive and well as the Country Club Party and is one of the apple's of its eye.  He will not be discredited until their is no Country Club and the golf course has been razed to the ground.

Rove has not been thoroughly discredited, but he has lost much of the support he once had from Bush supporters, who were a lot more conservative than Bush. He is only seen as positive by those Country Club establishment types now.

A Perry win would be a mixed bag for Rove, IMO.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 03:39:23 PM »

You're right, no deathblow. But a flurry of uppercuts and crosses that have taken their toll.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 04:12:59 PM »

Even though many of us have for a long time held him in ill repute public comments on  Christine O'Donnell brought his personal machinations and destructive politics to the fore.  At the time a darling of Fox News within a short time virtually disappeared from view.  However, as an insider operative he's still "the man".

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 05:50:58 PM »

Even though many of us have for a long time held him in ill repute public comments on  Christine O'Donnell brought his personal machinations and destructive politics to the fore.  At the time a darling of Fox News within a short time virtually disappeared from view.  However, as an insider operative he's still "the man".

He hasn't been around much. And Johnnny Mac made the same comments Rove did not too long ago and since then he's been walking them back(must be running again). But the TEA party is well and truly under their skin.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 06:41:58 PM »

I'm doing my best to make him and his RINO buddies irrelevant.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 06:46:24 PM »

I'm doing my best to make him and his RINO buddies irrelevant.

And that's the fight inside the party too. One more election cycle and TEA parties in the senate should clear their heads of where the people are going and if they want to come along.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 07:35:09 PM »
I knew I sensed the stench of The Butthead behind Romney!

Let the knives come out!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 07:46:36 PM »
Hannity still seems to like Rove and grovels before him regularly

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 07:51:09 PM »

Shame! Shame! Shame!

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 08:09:27 PM »

I'm not sure if it's Rove or the people he's connected to.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 08:23:47 PM »
If I were Hannity he would be banned from my show, especially after using it as the platform for his shameful kneecapping of Christine O'Donnell immediately after her primary victory, before she had even given her victory speech.

But as for Hannity continuing to play host to this turd, well, that's among the not few reasons I don't much care for Hannity.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 08:27:40 PM »
If I were Hannity he would be banned from my show, especially after using it as the platform for his shameful kneecapping of Christine O'Donnell immediately after her primary victory, before she had even given her victory speech.

But as for Hannity continuing to play host to this turd, well, that's among the not few reasons I don't much care for Hannity.

He sucked up big time to Orin Hatch this past week.  Ugh.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 09:25:49 PM »
well, that's among the not few reasons I don't much care for Hannity.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 09:59:52 PM »

He sucked up big time to Orin Hatch this past week.  Ugh.

Hatch is all done and he's trying to put it off.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 01:13:44 AM »

I have said on so many occasions that Hannity is fabulously over-rated as a conservative mouthpiece.

(Rant alert)

Hannity's "debating" style is sophomoric at best, ticking off a memorized list of talking points in an attempt to drown an opponent in factoids. There are other lower ranked hosts who run rings around Hannity in debate technique (Hugh Hewitt comes to mind).

Hannity has an extremely annoying habit of repeating pet phrases, "I gotta tell ya," or "I gotta be honest," etc.

Hannity is intellectually lazy. He doesn't do his homework and seems to rely on producers to tell him what to think about people and issues. And this is the worst. I can't stand that he gives a poverty pimp like Sharpton the time of day let alone giving that race baiter a microphone. He has also given air time to RINOs over and over again. He either won't or (more likely) can't ask a decent follow up question to a moderate. Levin routinely destroys people like David Frum and David Brooks. Those guys are terrified of Levin but welcome an on-air interview with Hannity,

Now, that said, I think that Levin screws up occasionally too...I think he gave Hatch an undeserved pass on his tea party credentials. But that's unusual for Levin. For Hannity it's business as usual. So of course Hannity throws softballs at Rove.

The only FNC guy I care less for is the pompous know nothing O'Reilly. And Shep. Shep's working on the Ted Baxter thing.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 06:21:59 AM »
I never watch Hannity but he's on the radio in the afternoon on my way to the job.
So I have him for about 1/2 hour.
That's enough

I agree with Trap's assessment of him.

I watch very little TV but think O'really is a real a**hole who doesn't kmnow anything

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 07:02:35 AM »
I think Trap is right, Hannity just isn't bright enough, nice chap, but he cannot think beyond his talking points and he misses so many easy follow up's he could nail people on it is ridiculous.

O'Reilly can sound good one minute and then be a complete ass the next.  He is too deluded about the scale of his own intellect and the weight his opinion carries...Fox would be better served if he moved on.

Shep working on the Ted Baxter thing!

::hysterical::

That moron could be replaced by a chimpanzee!

::thumbsup::