Author Topic: Morning Examiner: Perry regresses  (Read 753 times)

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
Morning Examiner: Perry regresses
« on: September 23, 2011, 07:57:53 AM »
September 23, 2011 7:59am
0 Comments
Conn Carroll Senior Editorial Writer

"If Rick Perry was a pitcher who had been called up to the majors in August, his manager would be telling him to pack his bags for a return trip to the minors. His first debate performance was uneven but showed promise. He showed he had the guts to confront Mitt Romney where Tim Pawlenty didn't, but he also obviously needed better command over the issues and he faded as the debate went on.

In the second debate, Perry held his own, successfully engaging Romney on Social Security and jobs while stoically taking fire from all the other candidates. But again, he faded as the night wore on and his command over the issues didn't really improve from his first outing.

Last night, in Perry’s third debate performance, the wheels came off. Like a young pitcher who relies too much on his fastball, Perry’s confident aloofness, once effective, was now getting shredded by his opponents. Romney was openly dismissive of Perry’s intellect, flat out asserting that Perry didn't even write his own book. A charge Perry let stand. And even when he was set up to deliver an easy fastball down the middle of the plate, given a chance to criticize Romney on Romneycare, he mangled what was obviously a prepared piece.

Conservatives are still desperately looking for a viable anti-Romney candidate. But Perry’s first three debate’s have made it pretty clear he is not the answer.

GOP Debate
The Washington Examiner‘s Michael Barone: “One year ago Rick Perry was not considered, by himself or by just about anyone else, a potential presidential candidate. His performance in last night’s Fox News/Google debate in Orlando showed why.”

The Washington Examiner‘s Phil Klein: “Mitt Romney is an incredibly vulnerable Republican candidate, from his numerous policy reversals to his championing of the Massachusetts health care law that served as the basis from Obamacare. … Texas Gov. Rick Perry is blowing his chances to exploit Romney’s weaknesses.”

National Review‘s Rich Lowry: “[Perry's] signature moment of the night came when he teed up what was supposed to be a devastating indictment of Mitt Romney’s flip-flops and get lost somewhere in the middle and barely made it out the other side. Perry has been coming back to Earth lately, partly on his uneven debate performances. Orlando didn't do anything to change that dynamic–indeed may have accelerated it.”

http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/morning-examiner-perry-regresses?

Perry did nothing to help himself, last night, and Romney definitely did nothing to hurt himself! Everyone else looked charming and out of it, but Newt Gingrich keeps saying the right things and garners the most emotion. I truly believe Gingrich is Auditioning for VP. Just my opinion, that, and $10 dollars will buy you a cup of coffee! ::whatgives::
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 08:04:17 AM by jpatrickham »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Morning Examiner: Perry regresses
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 09:55:19 AM »
Having to settle for a guy because he makes no mistakes in debates does not motivate me.

You could be right about gNewt, but that strategy often backfires come selection time.

According to one poll I saw Romney won, once you discount the batsh*t-crazy Paulbots...

I am so underwhelmed I can barely hide my indifference...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 10:10:05 AM »

Underwhelmed or disappointed, each of the previous debates were better than the preceding, a chart analyst might call the slump an inevitability. 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 10:11:40 AM »
Testing a new bottom...

::facepalm::

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 10:15:39 AM »

Not the interns, the debate.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 10:23:59 AM »
right

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 09:03:29 PM »
If it's any consolation, America is doomed regardless of who wins the GOP primary or subsequent general election. There's my ray of sunshine for the day!

And actually, I'm not being glib or sarcastic. We're to the point where a systemic failure will be necessary so as to enable the reformations that are needed. And some sort of systemic failure is definitely in the cards. I've decided to chalk it up to "the Lord works in mysterious ways".
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 09:20:31 PM »

That's catastrophic!  But what if we elect some sort of ooze for president and the delineation is not clear, like the house breaker box blowing up, Bam! But instead the systemic failure is CIC Ooze turning out the lights one at a time... slowly.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 08:15:01 AM »
I don't think that will be a problem. The twin threats of incompetence and treachery have guaranteed an "over the cliff" scenario, so it doesn't really matter whether one goes over the edge at 100mph or simply lets the car roll with the hand brake released.

Yesterday on Rush's show, Steyn observed that the GOP field seems to be congratulating itself for wanting to put this careening car in 3rd gear.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly