Author Topic: Video from inside the Washington Monument during the earthquake  (Read 624 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Video from inside the Washington Monument during the earthquake
« on: September 26, 2011, 08:25:46 PM »
http://www.nps.gov/wamo/washington-monument-earthquake-update.htm

I'm surprised at how violent it appeared to be.  I guess the shaking is magnified when you're in a tall building.

/hat tip Ace of Spades.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Video from inside the Washington Monument during the earthquake
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 08:43:37 PM »
I would guess your spot-on Rickl. The effect at the top of a tower would be magnified. It looks intensely frightening, and that was only a baby earthquake as they go.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 08:46:06 PM »
That was interesting for me because I was there a couple of years ago.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 08:51:42 PM »
I was there once, as a kid in the late 60s.  We took the elevator up and the stairs down.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 07:21:41 AM »
Was there in the late 80's.

That was some impressive shaking.  But even if you have a wide base, a solid structure is still sitting on what was once a soft tidal basin, that soft earth had to have been the primary cause for the shaking to be so evident as seen in that footage.

I looked it up, apparently the base is on a dense sand/gravel layer.

http://casehistories.geoengineer.org/volume/volume1/issue3/IJGCH_1_3_3.pdf

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 07:28:22 AM »
Yeah, and I'm not sure, but I don't think they built structural elasticity in towers back then.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 09:38:53 AM »
That one rangerette needs to change her shampoo to fix her itchies... ;D