Author Topic: Noob introduction  (Read 9384 times)

Offline predator

• Newb
Noob introduction
« on: March 19, 2012, 06:41:02 PM »
I live in Illinois (I know, I know), but at least I'm downstate. My very favorite pass time is Thoroughbred racing, with golf second, and Polly Ticks third. So I may be "out-wonked" here, but that's OK. Maybe it will be a learning experience.

Ummm, let's see, what else? I turn 60 in less than a month.  *Yay! I've succeeded at life for 60 big ones!*   ::whoohoo::

I've been a Hot Air regular for a couple of years, but I think I'm banned  :'( and I don't know why. ::thinking::

I've been in contact with Ed at the blog, but nothing is resolved yet. I'm very confused as to what is the deal.

I'm headed down to Keeneland Race Track in Lexington during by B-day week for  some revelry ::beertoast:: and some horsey gambling  ::pimp::.

Yes, I'm an evil sinner in the eyes of some, but I think I'm cool and likeable. *Self-promotion? You betcha!*

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: Noob introduction
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 06:42:49 PM »
No big deal on the ponies. I play cards when I have the time and money.

How did you stumble upon us and can you invite others?
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 06:44:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum Predator. Dive in!
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline predator

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 06:49:08 PM »
Howdy trapeze, I linked to this site via a post from itsnotaboutme at Hot Air. I figure if I can't play there, I'll move to a new game. Still baffled about that, but not much I can do. I'm trying to get word to some of my buds there that I've apparently been canned, so they'll know why I've vanished. I don't have any email exchanges with them, and I'm not the Facebook type, so it's tough to get word to them.

I used to play a little blackjack but it's been a while. I stick to the ponies these days.

Offline predator

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 06:53:21 PM »

« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:44:37 PM »
   Reply with quoteQuote

Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to some discussions. Just feeling my way around to get the flavor of the place. It's new terrain for me, and I don't want to step on a mine. *boom*

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 06:57:01 PM »
Be sure to read the "Tips for New Users" thread. It will make things much easier.

And if you do get posting privileges back at HotAir then you can invite others. We are always looking for new members here.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 07:34:20 PM »

« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:44:37 PM »
   Reply with quoteQuote

Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to some discussions. Just feeling my way around to get the flavor of the place. It's new terrain for me, and I don't want to step on a mine. *boom*

Very few mines *boom* here.  We try to avoid flaming other members for not endorsing our particular candidate of choice, or posting unhappy information about one they favor.  Or picking on the use of particular words, or "tone".  You go ahead and express yourself otherwise and you'll be fine.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 07:59:40 PM »
Howdy trapeze, I linked to this site via a post from itsnotaboutme at Hot Air. I figure if I can't play there, I'll move to a new game. Still baffled about that, but not much I can do. I'm trying to get word to some of my buds there that I've apparently been canned, so they'll know why I've vanished. I don't have any email exchanges with them, and I'm not the Facebook type, so it's tough to get word to them.

I used to play a little blackjack but it's been a while. I stick to the ponies these days.

I suck at gambling - too conservative I guess  ::laughonfloor::

Anyway....welcome!

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 08:14:32 PM »
  Welcome aboard and post away.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 08:31:42 PM »
I spent 4 days in Vegas last week, and gambled two of them. We managed to stem the bleeding to a mere $320 out of a $700 gambling budget. Mrs. IDP likes Black Jack, and she's damn good at it - her mom used to be a dealer back in the day, so she knows how to play it right. She won a modest sum.

I get bored with Black Jack, but the real card games are too high stakes and intense for me, so I wound up playing Three-card Poker - a house game, I know. But I did OK - held my own the first day, up a nice couple-hundo for a while before coming back down to earth and breaking about even after about 5 or 6 hours straight. But day two was punishing. Lost my ass then.

The way I look at it, I planned on spending $700 and didn't spend $380 of it. And I had tons of fun playing cards, and  jabbering with dealers and players alike. The few nice hands were worth it.

And if you've been to Vegas and haven't see "Ka" at the MGM, see it. It was absolutely incredible.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 08:34:07 PM »
...again, welcome predator. Just an FYI, we have a "Predator Don" here. Shouldn't be a problem. We usually call him Don. But just in case somebody calls you Don, you'll know why.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 12:15:18 AM »
Welcome predator. Have fun in the forums.

My use of predator comes from my love of hockey and the Nashville Predators.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 12:52:31 AM »

And here I always thought it came from preying on Largemouth Bass.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 06:44:40 AM »
Welcome aboard Predator, look forward to your contributions.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 08:19:15 AM »

Btw, I am whacking them right now on the local lakes. Eating the rattle trap and crankbait.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 09:11:33 AM »

Btw, I am whacking them right now on the local lakes. Eating the rattle trap and crankbait.

Our ice just finally went out once and for all a few days ago. Severely early, but I'll take it. Bass doesn't open until late May, so it's Crappie time.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 07:28:44 PM »
Welcome, Predator! Pull up a chair and stay a while.

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 07:40:21 PM »
He's an Illinois resident and they're having their primary today.  Hope he pops back in at some point with some info.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 05:10:47 AM »

Yes, I'm an evil sinner in the eyes of some ....

Which means you'll fit right in !

Offline predator

• Newb
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 06:22:07 PM »

I use predator because I love the concept of "pursue and devour." Like I said--evil.  ::evil:: *hope this shows up where I mean it to--still learning how to navigate my way around here*