Author Topic: Drones over the U.S.  (Read 19268 times)

charlesoakwood

Drones over the U.S.
« on: May 15, 2012, 10:40:53 PM »

"Stop It Here, Stop It Now" w/Real Clearvideo

"I'm going to go hard left on you here, I'm going ACLU," syndicated columnist Charles Krauthammer said in opposition to the use of drones on the U.S. homeland. "I don't want regulations, I don't want restrictions, I want a ban on this. Drones are instruments of war. The Founders had a great aversion to any instruments of war, the use of the military inside even the United States. It didn't like standing armies, it has all kinds of statutes of using the army in the country."

"A drone is a high-tech version of an old army and a musket. It ought to be used in Somalia to hunt bad guys but not in America. I don't want to see it hovering over anybody's home. Yes, you can say we have satellites, we've got Google Street View and London has a camera on every street corner but that's not an excuse to cave in on everything else and accept a society where you're always under -- being watched by the government. This is not what we want," Krauthammer said on the panel portion of FOX News' "Special Report."

"I would say that you ban it under all circumstances and I would predict, I'm not encouraging, but I an predicting that the first guy who uses a Second Amendment weapon to bring a drone down that's been hovering over his house is going to be a folk hero in this country," Krauthammer said tonight.

"I would say the price of liberty. You can hear a helicopter, you can't hear a drone. You know, if you hear a helicopter you hide under a bush. Well, you can't with this which is why it's effective in Pakistan and elsewhere. It's deft and it's silent. I don't think we want a society where if there are the objects, hovering over streaming, real-time information about you, your family, your car, your location," Krauthammer said later in the segment.

"It's not worth it," he said.

"The Founders we're deeply opposed to the militarization of civil society. There is all kinds of aversions to it and this is importing it because, as you say, it's cheap, it's easy, it's silent. It's something that you can easily deploy. It's going to be, I think the bane of our existence. Stop it here, stop it now," Krauthammer said at the end of the panel segment. "Strong letter to follow."

Link and video  

Krauthammer On Drones Flying In US: "Stop It Here, Stop It Now"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Drones over the U.S.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 11:13:10 PM »
Man when Krauthammer is right he is right!

Except that anyone who shoots one of the damned things down will be an Enemy of The State.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 11:15:22 PM »
I see an uptick in the ... erm .... appreciation for shoulder-fired rocket launchers.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 11:49:52 PM »

The buggerers, who have those things, haven't figured out how to tell if
a drone's there.  There's a kid in some garage working on that right now.

Until then......

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 11:54:33 PM »

The buggerers, who have those things, haven't figured out how to tell if
a drone's there.  There's a kid in some garage working on that right now.

Until then......

Oh honey, don't you doubt for a minute that "we" already have the technology.  The garage kids are working on the next gen.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 11:56:30 PM »

Hope you have the technology, it hasn't been disseminated out here.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 01:31:27 AM »
No trust today, I tellz ya.   ::falldownshocked::

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 06:38:00 AM »
Prob with these buggers is they're quiet ad small so looking for them isn't going to be an easy task.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 07:54:11 AM »
They give off much heat?
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 01:39:35 PM »

Prob with these buggers is they're quiet ad small so looking for them isn't going to be an easy task.

Oh, you're talking about those little four prop jobs.  Pull!

I thought we were talking about those things that loiter at 30K.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 03:48:22 PM »
They give off much heat?

Dunno, but they probably create some sort of pulse somewhere in the electromagnetic spectrum.  They used to find trucks going down the Ho Chi Minh trail at night by listening for the distinctive radio burst created by the spark plugs discharging.

These things may be very hard to detect, but there's no way it's impossible. Someone will figure it out, I certainly hope.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 04:29:46 PM »
The smallest genuine UAVs are about the size of a subcompact in wingspan, length and height.  A Predator is considerable larger, taking up about the same room a 20-25 foot sailboat would take up laid over on it's side.  Global Hawk is ginormous.  All are pretty "spindly," since they are creatures of the air and sky:  and very slow moving ones that; rather like mayflies.

There are smaller devices, of course, basically adaptations of RC airplanes.

The UAVs are essentially capable of autonomous missions, although that capability is normally reserved for recovering from a control casualty.  Usually they are remotely piloted via telemetry, with a fairly narrow beam (although the satellite links are obviously a broadbeam downlink with a narrow beam uplink).

With a good paint job, they are hard as hell to spot, even if you know exactly where the damn thing is.  Krauthammer is correct, they are a weapon of war, and shouldn't be loosed on a civilian population.

And the best way to shoot them down is while they are on the ground.

My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 06:43:28 PM »
If they start stacking up in backyard from 'crashes', I venture to guess you won't be popular with the LEO's.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 08:21:50 PM »

Sixty yards, that could be a couple of houses down.   Pull!!

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 10:13:14 PM »
Man when Krauthammer is right he is right!

Except that anyone who shoots one of the damned things down will be an Enemy of The State.

But a HERO for the country. ::USA::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

charlesoakwood

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 11:17:39 PM »

infowars  

As we reported in February, over 30 prominent watchdog groups have banded together to petition the FAA on the proposed increase in the use of drones in US airspace.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 10:27:16 AM »

Link

A mystery object, thought to be a military or law enforcement drone, flying in controlled airspace over Denver almost caused a catastrophic mid air crash with a commercial jet Monday.

Denver 9 video report at link

One of the mentioned possibilities is it was "a large bird".
They also checked with model aircraft clubs.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 10:43:55 AM »
No freaking way is it RC guys, not 2800' off the deck, police or military drone is all it could be.

Oh, and what you said a few back CO - "Sixty yards, that could be a couple of houses down.   Pull!!"

::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 10:57:38 AM »
For those out there too blind to see - or too stubborn to open their eyes and/or pull their heads out of their nether regions: Police State = Here RIGHT NOW.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus