Author Topic: School Made Deaf Child Change Sign Name, Said It Looked Like Gun  (Read 4904 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
A Nebraska school district asked a deaf preschooler to change his sign language name because they believe the hand motion he used looked like he was shooting a gun.

The family of 3-year-old Hunter Spanjer said that their deaf son’s sign gesture violates the Grand Island Public Schools weapons policy.

“He’s deaf, and his name sign, they say, is a violation of their weapons policy,” Brian Spanjer.

Hunter’s father, told Nebraska based news channel KOLN. “It’s a symbol. It’s an actual sign, a registered sign, through (Signing Exact English).”

He also started a Facebook page in an effort to support his son’s sign name, which has garnered nearly 1,000 supporters as of Tuesday afternoon.

The Grand Island school district is hoping to come to a solution to the sign gesture soon.

“We are working with the parents to come to the best solution we can for the child,” Jack Sheard, Grand Island Public Schools spokesperson, told KOLN.

The ACLU is backing the Spanjer family, asking the school district to reconsider making Hunter change his sign gesture.

Found in the comments:

"Denise Bertacchi • 41 minutes ago

I just dug around and found a local TV station story on this. The kid signs his name, which is Hunter, by crossing the first two fingers of both hands and flicking them up and down. The gesture is rapid, but it would look sorta, kinda, maybe like you're shooting two pistols. But it's not like he's cocking back his thumbs, or pulling them out of imaginary holsters, or aiming them at your head...and as a deaf kid the gesture certainly isn't accompanied by him going pow! pow! pow! It looks as much like his drumming with his hands as anything else."
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: School Made Deaf Child Change Sign Name, Said It Looked Like Gun
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 02:59:54 PM »
How long until a name like "Hunter" is verboten because of some insane policy?  It's bizarrely amusing when different components of Political Correctness are at odds with each other.  Here we have the disability/ADA thing against the hoplophobic/anti-gun thing.  Watch for exploding heads.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 03:04:51 PM »
What if the kids' name was Gunnar?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 04:13:15 PM »
A Nebraska school district asked a deaf preschooler to change his sign language name because they believe the hand motion he used looked like he was shooting a gun.

The family of 3-year-old Hunter Spanjer said that their deaf son’s sign gesture violates the Grand Island Public Schools weapons policy.

“He’s deaf, and his name sign, they say, is a violation of their weapons policy,” Brian Spanjer.

Hunter’s father, told Nebraska based news channel KOLN. “It’s a symbol. It’s an actual sign, a registered sign, through (Signing Exact English).”

He also started a Facebook page in an effort to support his son’s sign name, which has garnered nearly 1,000 supporters as of Tuesday afternoon.

The Grand Island school district is hoping to come to a solution to the sign gesture soon.

“We are working with the parents to come to the best solution we can for the child,” Jack Sheard, Grand Island Public Schools spokesperson, told KOLN.

The ACLU is backing the Spanjer family, asking the school district to reconsider making Hunter change his sign gesture.

Found in the comments:

"Denise Bertacchi • 41 minutes ago

I just dug around and found a local TV station story on this. The kid signs his name, which is Hunter, by crossing the first two fingers of both hands and flicking them up and down. The gesture is rapid, but it would look sorta, kinda, maybe like you're shooting two pistols. But it's not like he's cocking back his thumbs, or pulling them out of imaginary holsters, or aiming them at your head...and as a deaf kid the gesture certainly isn't accompanied by him going pow! pow! pow! It looks as much like his drumming with his hands as anything else."

I know very little sign language....but one sign comes to mind as a response to THAT request.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 04:17:24 PM »
The boy is a 3 year-old pre-schooler.  There are official government-district pre-schools now?

In any case, the totalitarians sure are starting to indoctrinate the kids earlier and earlier.

I'd be damned if I'd send my deaf child off to pre-school.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 04:39:57 PM »

A special school for deaf children to help them
negotiate with a noisy world.

As for the jackasses; Hello, my name is Charlie Jäger, want some?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 05:05:19 PM »
I didn't see in the piece anywhere that it was a school for the deaf.  What I do see is a deaf child, little more than a baby really, being thrown to the tender mercies of the government wolves instead of being helped by his parents to learn how to function in a "noisy world".

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 05:07:51 PM »
I didn't see in the piece anywhere that it was a school for the deaf.  What I do see is a deaf child, little more than a baby really, being thrown to the tender mercies of the government wolves instead of being helped by his parents to learn how to function in a "noisy world".

This is SOOOOO wacky that even the leftist organization Anti-America for criminal liberty union (ACLU) is on the kid's side.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 05:09:33 PM »
People who completely abandon common sense and dare enforce zero tolerance policy against children in instances like this should be put to the sword.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 05:10:49 PM »

This is SOOOOO wacky that even the leftist organization Anti-America for criminal liberty union (ACLU) is on the kid's side.

Heh. Once in a great while they'll take up a cause that they can point to and say, "See! We're non-paaaaartisssannn."
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 05:15:52 PM »
People who completely abandon common sense and dare enforce zero tolerance policy against children in instances like this should be put to the sword.

Should they be local to you, would they be making your "short list"?   ;)

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 05:24:17 PM »

That's funny. Around these parts Gunnar is a common name

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 06:49:35 PM »
 ::effu::
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 07:10:55 PM »

In Scandinavian parts like Minnie, Gunnar's can still be found.  Almost makes me want to legally change my name, but I respect my heritage and family too much to do it.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 08:46:35 PM »

In Scandinavian parts like Minnie, Gunnar's can still be found.  Almost makes me want to legally change my name, but I respect my heritage and family too much to do it.

The town of Ballard (now consumed by Seattle) has a heavy Scandinavian/Norwegian population. Same for Skagit County in the northern part of the state.

This story makes me want to change my name to "FU" so that I could introduce myself to them.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 09:13:24 PM »
Maybe I'll write a novel, key character - Gunnar Deadshot.

;D

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 10:58:27 AM »
  Sometimes words just fail me.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 11:09:30 AM »
I've read another account whereby the school administrator avers the "sign is not appropriate for school", so they want the kid to spell out his name by letters instead of using the one sign-language signal for it.

I'd like to know what adverse effect these rocket scientists *think* will have on other 3 year-olds.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 11:12:40 AM »
Lord, if I was this kid's daddy...

- Thomas Jefferson