Author Topic: Voting FOR Romney vs Voting AGAINST Obama: A Major Shift  (Read 431 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Voting FOR Romney vs Voting AGAINST Obama: A Major Shift
« on: October 16, 2012, 03:26:46 PM »
I find this interesting because I was vociferously against Romney, then resolved to vote against Obama, and now - to my own surprise - I am looking forward to voting for Romney. I don't know whether it's simply a matter of coming to grips with the choice available to me and being at peace with it, or if Romney has effectively closed the deal. But either way, this analysis represents me. I have gone from simply voting against Obama to actively supporting Mitt Romney.

Battleground Poll: For Romney vs. Against Obama

In August, data from Politico’s Battleground poll showed Governor Romney's support rooted largely in anti-Obama sentiment rather than pro-Romney enthusiasm.

Since then, Romney has struck a chord with voters according to the latest Battleground poll as 59% say their vote is “for Romney,” a net positive movement of 41%.

Of those saying they'll vote for Romney...
August 9: 39% FOR Romney; 52% AGAINST Obama
October 11: 59% FOR Romney; 31% AGAINST Obama

That's a paradigm shift.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Voting FOR Romney vs Voting AGAINST Obama: A Major Shift
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 03:45:29 PM »
I'm kind of in that boat too.  I have no illusions about Romney's less-than-conservative history, but I think he (like us) is genuinely alarmed by some of the rapid and recent changes going on. He seems to also "get" that we are sitting on an economic timebomb of unprecedented magnitude. It makes me more willing to give him a "For" vote if I know that he knows this is not simply another election.

Some might argue that the magnitude of the economic problem is so enormous that nothing can contain it now, and they can probably make a pretty strong argument for that. But what else is there to do but at least face it eyes open?
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 04:02:05 PM »
I'm kind of in that boat too.  I have no illusions about Romney's less-than-conservative history, but I think he (like us) is genuinely alarmed by some of the rapid and recent changes going on. He seems to also "get" that we are sitting on an economic timebomb of unprecedented magnitude. It makes me more willing to give him a "For" vote if I know that he knows this is not simply another election.

Some might argue that the magnitude of the economic problem is so enormous that nothing can contain it now, and they can probably make a pretty strong argument for that. But what else is there to do but at least face it eyes open?

I think Ryan "gets" we are near the point of economic collapse. I think the only thing Mittens ( and his campaign manager(s) ) "gets" is that he needs Tea Party support to win the election.  If Mitten's understood economics, he would be saying stupid things like "we will keep the requirement to cover pre-existing condtions" - of course that might be yet more pandering.

he  is EMPHATICALLY NOT alarmed by the changes Borat has made, since he has no problem imposing the worst and most egregious of them on the people of Massachusetts. He has been talking a good game, and yes, its was gratifying that he actually went after Obama  and the dependency culture in the first debate. Liberal tears taste sweet, but just because he engaged in some hippie punching does not mean he believes a word he said. The Kabuki continues, and he knows to garner your support he has to punch some hippies. To assume he will continue to do so after being elected is wishful thinking, if the history of "moderate" GOP candidates is any guide.  He will be cozying up to the Dems and "compromising"  in the name of "civility" and "community"  within a few days of being elected.

He will unquestionably be less damaging than Borat, because he is probably not actively seeking to destroy the country. However, those that are are still there, and he will be more than willing to give us those bi-partisan solutions that moderate GOP is so famous for.  The point of no return has been passed.  There is at least an 80% the SHTF during this next term. Yes, I want Mittens to be in charge when that happens, as I would expect Borat, I mean Valerie, to implement martial law as soon as conditions could reasonably warrant it.  Mittens may be slower to do it, but e is still part of the new aristocracy - he firmly believes that he can make better decisions for your life than you can, and he has no problem using government power to punish you if you decide to go against his "advice"  This is proven fact, and I think we would be well advised not to forget it.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 05:00:28 PM »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 08:05:23 PM »
Rush made the comment today that the sudden movement isn't sudden.  Obamites would like to believe that so they can manufacture a win in one debate.
 ::)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.