Author Topic: It's coming..........  (Read 33462 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: It's coming..........
« Reply #100 on: December 05, 2013, 10:11:59 PM »
There's really nothing worse in winter driving than the overconfident guy in a SUV.  For people like that, about the only thing 4WD is good for is getting you into situations that you then can't get out of.

When I go on surf fishing trips it's kind of the same thing on the sand. Somebody always tries it in a 2WD. The local tow operators love those people. Driving on the beach, the absolute best thing you can do is lower your tire pressure. I usually run about 14-16 psi. The tires really flatten out and just roll over the sand rather than digging into it.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2013, 11:04:33 PM »
We're having temps in the negative single digits. I don't remember a winter when we've gotten smacked by arctic cold so early. At least as far as I can remember, this bitter cold snap doesn't usually come until around the 1st of the year.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2013, 11:13:52 PM »
As I suspected, they've seriously toned down the forecasts. Yesterday the forecast was for a high of 5o on Tuesday.

WunderMap®

xxxxx Weather Forecast
View Calendar 10-Day Forecast for xxxxx Weather Station 00000
Thursday, 5
Overcast
56 | 24 °F
Overcast
Chance of
Precipitation NA%

Friday, 6
Overcast
26 | 12 °F
Overcast
Chance of
Precipitation 0%

Saturday, 7
Clear
23 | 18 °F
Clear
Chance of
Precipitation 0%

Sunday, 8
Overcast
30 | 25 °F
Overcast
Chance of
Precipitation 20%

Monday, 9
Overcast
27 | 9 °F
Overcast
Chance of
Precipitation 10%

Tuesday, 10
Partly Cloudy
27 | 14 °F
Partly Cloudy
Chance of
Precipitation 0%

Wednesday, 11
Partly Cloudy
21 | 11 °F
Partly Cloudy
Chance of
Precipitation 0%

Thursday, 12
Clear
29 | 16 °F
Clear
Chance of
Precipitation 0%

Friday, 13
Mostly Cloudy
31 | 21 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Chance of
Precipitation 10%

Saturday, 14
Mostly Cloudy
33 | 21 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Chance of
Precipitation 20%

Source: BestForecast at Descriptive Forecast
Thursday Night
Overcast. Low 24F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.
Hourly   6AM   12 Noon   6PM   12 Midnight
Temp. | Dew Point   28 | 25   24 | 20   23 | 18   26 | 12
Wind   16 mph West   11 mph WNW   10 mph West   9 mph NW
Humidity   88%   82%   80%   54%
Chance of Precip.   NA   NA   NA   0%
Cloud Cover   NA   NA   NA   96%
Conditions   NA   NA   NA   Overcast
Sunrise & Sunset   
7:01 AM4:20 PM
Source: Weather Underground BestForecastView Detailed Hourly Forecast/quote]
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2013, 06:55:38 AM »
There's really nothing worse in winter driving than the overconfident guy in a SUV.  For people like that, about the only thing 4WD is good for is getting you into situations that you then can't get out of.

When I go on surf fishing trips it's kind of the same thing on the sand. Somebody always tries it in a 2WD. The local tow operators love those people. Driving on the beach, the absolute best thing you can do is lower your tire pressure. I usually run about 14-16 psi. The tires really flatten out and just roll over the sand rather than digging into it.

Worked for the Israeli's when fighting the Egyptians in Sinai!

It's a physics thing...some people have ten times more horsepower than brain cells!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2013, 06:59:51 AM »
We're having temps in the negative single digits. I don't remember a winter when we've gotten smacked by arctic cold so early. At least as far as I can remember, this bitter cold snap doesn't usually come until around the 1st of the year.

They can come in December but not this early...in the minus range this AM...throw in that over-used windchill, and...

http://vortex.plymouth.edu/uschill.gif

America's waistline getting iced -

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/ilate-week-ice-storm-texas-to-pennsylvania/20571898

And hey, I wonder if we can deploy really big fans all along the Canadian border and blow this cold back...let Russia take the spill-over?!

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2013, 08:01:17 AM »
We've certainly got cold this early.  The week after the Halloween blizzard it was below zero.  What is unique about this early cold snap is how wide spread it is, and how long it will last (past the extended forecasts).

Records are generally in the minus teens, this time of year, and we might flirt with one of two of those.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2013, 02:22:08 PM »
Meanwhile it's in the mid 70s in NC.  Feels unnatural to be that warm in December.  But looking at that map of the country, I don't recall seeing that much cold and snow in early December. Normally it's confined to the usual suspects.

I think there's something to the whole impending solar minimum and an overall cooling. The fact that it's totally at odds with the warmistas is just the icing on the cake.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2013, 09:05:28 PM »
Still upset about no snow. I remember as a child in the 70's having at least 2 feet on the ground by now, and holding steady thru until March.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2013, 09:50:40 PM »
Still upset about no snow. I remember as a child in the 70's having at least 2 feet on the ground by now, and holding steady thru until March.

I think you'll get the snow before we do. We're in that small area between the northern and southern snow storms. Go about 100 miles north, about 30 miles south, 20 miles east, and 75 miles west for snow, whereas we haven't even seen any flakes.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2013, 11:26:01 PM »

I think you'll get the snow before we do. We're in that small area between the northern and southern snow storms. Go about 100 miles north, about 30 miles south, 20 miles east, and 75 miles west for snow, whereas we haven't even seen any flakes.

I am not so sure though.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2013, 07:08:30 AM »
It's 6o here this morning, no snow forecast. MAYBE up to a 2" maximum tomorrow, but I'm not counting on it.

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
« Reply #111 on: December 07, 2013, 10:27:33 AM »
We got a dusting, but very cold this am.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #112 on: December 07, 2013, 10:46:03 AM »

Temperature 9.0 °F
Feels Like 9.0 °F
Wind(mph)  -
Sunrise / Set 7:03 AM 4:20 PM
Moon Waxing Crescent

Today
Clear 21 °F
Clear Tonight
Mostly Cloudy 15 °F

Mostly Cloudy Tomorrow
Light Snow 28 | 23 °F
Light Snow
30% chance of precipitation

Monday
Mostly Cloudy 25 | 10 °F

Mostly Cloudy
Tuesday
Clear 31 | 18 °F

Clear
Wednesday
Partly Cloudy 24 | 11 °F
Partly Cloudy

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #113 on: December 09, 2013, 07:41:44 AM »
Colder than Hillary Clinton's bed this morning!   ::speechless::

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #114 on: December 09, 2013, 11:06:18 AM »
Two inches of the white shiiit this morning. I had loads of fun going to my doctor's appointment; people don't know how to drive - they must have gotten their licenses out of a box of Cracker Jack.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #115 on: December 09, 2013, 03:22:30 PM »
Two inches of the white shiiit this morning. I had loads of fun going to my doctor's appointment; people don't know how to drive - they must have gotten their licenses out of a box of Cracker Jack.

CG - you should try it down here.  They have never had to drive in snow 1/4" or more, so they continue 20 mph over, 10 feet between cars while on the phone, cutting traffic, still thinking that power braking at the last minute will stop them on a dime, all while on curves and hills.  The few dustings we get, I just throw another log on the fire and make sure the coffee pot remains full while watching the world go by.
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #116 on: December 09, 2013, 04:38:52 PM »
CG - you should try it down here.  They have never had to drive in snow 1/4" or more, so they continue 20 mph over, 10 feet between cars while on the phone, cutting traffic, still thinking that power braking at the last minute will stop them on a dime, all while on curves and hills.  The few dustings we get, I just throw another log on the fire and make sure the coffee pot remains full while watching the world go by.

I'd have just stayed home this morning if not for the doctor's appointment.

I drove to the Salvation Army store this afternoon and we donated an imitation Christmas tree, some ornaments, clothing, shoes, fans - I can't remember all the stuff, but it filled up the back of my pickemup truck.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2013, 04:40:55 PM »
Summer's gone,
Fall has fell.
Winter's here,
and it's cold as hell!

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #118 on: December 09, 2013, 05:47:53 PM »
{{snip}}BY VARIOUS MEASURES THIS WILL LIKELY BE THE COLDEST WEEK SINCE DECEMBER 1998…AND THE COLDER RANGE OF SOLUTIONS ARE MORE LIKE DECEMBER 1983. THAT MONTH STAYED COLD AND WOUND UP BEING THE COLDEST DECEMBER ON RECORD…THE SNOW COVER WILL CERTAINLY HELP US GET OFF TO A COMPETITIVE START.{{snip}}

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2013/12/03/winter-rocking-the-u-s-a-from-northwest-to-southeast-eventually/

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #119 on: December 09, 2013, 05:56:26 PM »
If this global warming isn't brought under control, we'll all freeze our buns off.   ::snoshovel::

Now
Clear
Temperature 12 °F
Feels Like 12 °F
Wind(mph)
Sunrise / Set 7:05 AM 4:20 PM
Moon First Quarter
Tonight
Partly Cloudy 5 °F

Partly Cloudy
Tomorrow
Partly Cloudy 25 °F

Partly Cloudy
Tomorrow Night
Light Snow 15 °F
Light Snow
30% chance of precipitation

Wednesday
Snow Showers 21 | 3 °F
Snow Showers
40% chance of precipitation

Thursday
Partly Cloudy27 | 19 °F
Partly Cloudy

Friday
Mostly Cloudy34 | 25 °F
Mostly Cloudy