Author Topic: Pet Peeves - What's yours???  (Read 18479 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Pet Peeves - What's yours???
« Reply #120 on: April 12, 2011, 10:21:46 AM »
Height is not an issue in a world with ladders, step stools and chairs. The ability to change a light bulb is source material for innumerable jokes for a reason, because there is nothing in the world that could possibly be easier. Since this is a thread about pet peeves I chose this one because there is flat out no reason why anyone regardless of their sex (or age past, say, six) should not be able to replace one.

I agree. 

I change all the bulbs in my house because my darling husband thinks it's my job.  I'm not that short but there are a few I can't reach and he'll watch me drag out the ladder rather than coming over and just reaching up and getting it for me.

Most of the time I'd rather do something myself than wait on someone else anyway.  Only when I get really stuck do I ask for help.  It drives me nuts when I mention to a friend I got some new electronic thing and their response is good thing I have kids who can help me figure it out. I got a brain and quite capable of figuring out what wire goes where.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #121 on: April 12, 2011, 02:56:51 PM »
Further evidence that call screening is the best.

I don't answer my cell unless I recognize the number.

Just got one I didn't recognize.  Left a message.  From Oklahoma dept of benefits for people who don't pay taxes and want me to pay more (just kiddin' dept of human services or some such thing) anyway, the caller informed me (but not me as I don't live in OK and my cell number isn't close to being near the right area code) that my case closed April 1 and if I wanted benefits reinstated all I had to do was call and they would be retroactive from April 1.  Nice, heh?

(the funniest one I ever got was from a woman I didn't know who left a message describing the trip she recently took)
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #122 on: April 12, 2011, 04:43:53 PM »
Or they ask "who is this" when you say hello.  What do you mean "who is this?"; who did you want to call?

Swear to God, I got one of these calls just tonight.  Drunk, southern, moron.

Hey! I am not a moron!
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #123 on: April 12, 2011, 04:55:43 PM »
Or they ask "who is this" when you say hello.  What do you mean "who is this?"; who did you want to call?

Hey! I am not a moron!

The imagination just runs wild so I'll settle for this!! ::rolllaughing::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #124 on: April 12, 2011, 04:56:59 PM »

Hey! I am not a moron!

If you don't know me by now ..... ooooo ooooo
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #125 on: April 12, 2011, 06:11:54 PM »

Hey! I am not a moron!

You just had to do that didn't you??? You just won't let him get you and get you he did.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #126 on: April 12, 2011, 07:07:57 PM »

Hey! I am not a moron!

You just had to do that didn't you??? You just won't let him get you and get you he did.

Just got him right back, dint I.  Besides, I already admitted he got me.

Stop being a PIMA.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #127 on: April 20, 2011, 08:30:46 PM »

This could have gone under Rev. Terry Jones or Ann Barnhardt or a couple of other topics but this non-legal and compelling rant at all time favorite Limpsey Grahmnesty belongs here.

Michael Berry Says BLAME THE TERRORISTS, Not the Koran Burners

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #128 on: April 20, 2011, 08:40:28 PM »
Thanks CO. That was great.

Never heard of him before.  But checked out him at here:  http://www.ktrh.com/pages/michaelberry.html
(he wants schumer to apologize to Houston--hehehehe)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:48:13 PM by LadyVirginia »

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #129 on: April 25, 2011, 12:17:21 AM »
I get hit with this just about every day...

no matter how bad this adminsitration screws things up,
they always have a way to blame it on Bush, repubs, or tea partiers.

And to make matters worse,
the repubs just stand there dumb founded,
like a deer glazing into the headlights,
without a clue as to a comeback.

TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

RickZ

« Reply #130 on: April 25, 2011, 06:16:04 AM »
Just saw this thread.  I have many pet peeves, some mentioned, some not.

Some are grammatical:  It's for its, their for they're, to for too and the like.  Sometimes it's a typo, but all too frequently it's grammar illiteracy.  And another one is the proper use of which, that or who.  A person is a who.  'John, who decided to . . . ' NOT 'John, which decided to . . .'  That one drives me nuts.  I see this one all the time in so-called professional articles (and the columns on Breitbart's Bigs are notorious for this error).

Women wearing mink coats who use food stamps at the grocery store.  Yes, I've actually seen this one.

People with over 10 items in the 10 items or less grocery line.  Oh, I only have 11 items!  Then get the f*ck out of the line, moron.

I'm a pedestrian (no car), and I too hate the no turn signal @ssholes.  I'm patiently waiting on the curb as a car approaches and they turn without signalling, forcing me to be at their whim.  Just who the f*ck do they think they are, just how self-important to have people waiting on them?

Having a doctor's appointment for 11 a.m. and not getting in to see the doctor until 2 p.m.  Manage your appointment times better, dude.  Just who do these doctors think they are, car mechanics or something?

Service calls which tell you we'll be there between the hours of 8 in the morning and 5 in the afternoon, like I have nothing better to do with my entire day.

Women and men who decide cologne or aftershave is something one bathes in.

Computer program instructions which do not match the computer screen.  Then it becomes a guessing game as to what to do.  Technical writing is seriously underdeveloped, but is a reflection of poor writing skills overall.  It's just that poor technical writing wastes my time.

Text speak writing passing for English.

Ballots in every language under the sun.  You're in this country now, so if you can't vote in English, get the f*ck out and go home where I don't give a sh*t who's running for office (if someone is even running for office and your home country is not some third world sh*thole dictatorship).

People who axe questions.

People who lie when one asks for directions.  If you don't know, say so.

The aforementioned 'Press 1 For English' garbage.  How about 'press 2 for get the f*ck out of here'?

The active versus passive bias in the media.  'Bush's policies have caused serious economic hardships on many elderly' versus 'Obama is working to help the elderly in this time of uncertain economic activity'.  The active negative war dead coverage under Bush (milestones!) versus the totally ignored war dead coverage under Obama.  There are so many more, like blaming Bush for the failures in the Katrina aftermath, while giving the mayor of N.O. and the governor of LA a free pass (which basically means reporters do not understand Federalism -- big surprise that!).  Or 5% unemployment under Bush being the end of the world (eleven11ty11!), while 10% unemployment being unexpected, but getting better, under Obama (hey, he's trying!).

The absolutely horrid misogynist coverage of female Republican candidates versus the kid glove treatment given to morons like Debbie Wasserman-Test.

The free pass given to stupid utterances by Obama (like 57 states) or Biden (stand up Chuck!), while we still know all about 'potatoe'.

Calling protests with bused in goonions a 'grass roots protest' while calling the TEA Party protests, where people come on their own dime, inconsequential, if covered at all.  Teabagging versus astroturfing.

Adults, and even kamikaze children, who ride bicycles on the sidewalk.  Dude!  It's a sidewalk, not a sideride.

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #131 on: April 25, 2011, 07:21:26 AM »
Hey, would you be in the middle of the ocean in a 7' jon boat?
Then, get off the freeway in that 'smart' car. By the way, it makes you look mighty dumb.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #132 on: April 25, 2011, 07:35:01 AM »
Just saw this thread.  I have many pet peeves, some mentioned, some not.

Some are grammatical:  It's for its, their for they're, to for too and the like.  Sometimes it's a typo, but all too frequently it's grammar illiteracy.  And another one is the proper use of which, that or who.  A person is a who.  'John, who decided to . . . ' NOT 'John, which decided to . . .'  That one drives me nuts.  I see this one all the time in so-called professional articles (and the columns on Breitbart's Bigs are notorious for this error).

Women wearing mink coats who use food stamps at the grocery store.  Yes, I've actually seen this one.

People with over 10 items in the 10 items or less grocery line.  Oh, I only have 11 items!  Then get the f*ck out of the line, moron.

I'm a pedestrian (no car), and I too hate the no turn signal @ssholes.  I'm patiently waiting on the curb as a car approaches and they turn without signalling, forcing me to be at their whim.  Just who the f*ck do they think they are, just how self-important to have people waiting on them?

Having a doctor's appointment for 11 a.m. and not getting in to see the doctor until 2 p.m.  Manage your appointment times better, dude.  Just who do these doctors think they are, car mechanics or something?

Service calls which tell you we'll be there between the hours of 8 in the morning and 5 in the afternoon, like I have nothing better to do with my entire day.

Women and men who decide cologne or aftershave is something one bathes in.

Computer program instructions which do not match the computer screen.  Then it becomes a guessing game as to what to do.  Technical writing is seriously underdeveloped, but is a reflection of poor writing skills overall.  It's just that poor technical writing wastes my time.

Text speak writing passing for English.

Ballots in every language under the sun.  You're in this country now, so if you can't vote in English, get the f*ck out and go home where I don't give a sh*t who's running for office (if someone is even running for office and your home country is not some third world sh*thole dictatorship).

People who axe questions.

People who lie when one asks for directions.  If you don't know, say so.

The aforementioned 'Press 1 For English' garbage.  How about 'press 2 for get the f*ck out of here'?

The active versus passive bias in the media.  'Bush's policies have caused serious economic hardships on many elderly' versus 'Obama is working to help the elderly in this time of uncertain economic activity'.  The active negative war dead coverage under Bush (milestones!) versus the totally ignored war dead coverage under Obama.  There are so many more, like blaming Bush for the failures in the Katrina aftermath, while giving the mayor of N.O. and the governor of LA a free pass (which basically means reporters do not understand Federalism -- big surprise that!).  Or 5% unemployment under Bush being the end of the world (eleven11ty11!), while 10% unemployment being unexpected, but getting better, under Obama (hey, he's trying!).

The absolutely horrid misogynist coverage of female Republican candidates versus the kid glove treatment given to morons like Debbie Wasserman-Test.

The free pass given to stupid utterances by Obama (like 57 states) or Biden (stand up Chuck!), while we still know all about 'potatoe'.

Calling protests with bused in goonions a 'grass roots protest' while calling the TEA Party protests, where people come on their own dime, inconsequential, if covered at all.  Teabagging versus astroturfing.

Adults, and even kamikaze children, who ride bicycles on the sidewalk.  Dude!  It's a sidewalk, not a sideride.

Heh, good list!

For this one -

"I'm a pedestrian (no car), and I too hate the no turn signal @ssholes.  I'm patiently waiting on the curb as a car approaches and they turn without signalling, forcing me to be at their whim.  Just who the f*ck do they think they are, just how self-important to have people waiting on them?"

Have you tired banging on their trunk as they pass and when they look back give them the finger?  Well, that used to work back in the day, today people might shoot you!  But the worst I ever had done was someone get out of their car and when I set to square off on them they changed their mind and spit at me and drove off.  Hopefully they saw me laughing at them in their mirror!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

RickZ

« Reply #133 on: April 25, 2011, 08:41:45 AM »
And another one is the proper use of which, that or who.  A person is a who.  'John, who decided to . . . ' NOT 'John, which decided to . . .'  That one drives me nuts.  I see this one all the time in so-called professional articles (and the columns on Breitbart's Bigs are notorious for this error).
And right on cue:

Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, and Bill O’Reilly are examples of current commentators that have quite a bit of influence.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #134 on: April 25, 2011, 09:49:22 AM »

Bicyclists, arrogant bicyclists would be an oxymoron, who interfere with traffic. Public roads are for street legal motorized traffic.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #135 on: April 25, 2011, 09:58:42 AM »

Bicyclists, arrogant bicyclists would be an oxymoron, who interfere with traffic. Public roads are for street legal motorized traffic.

That pay taxes to maintain those same roads.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #136 on: April 25, 2011, 10:03:30 AM »
You have to understand that the government is pushing us out of our SUVs to bicycles.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #137 on: April 25, 2011, 11:40:47 AM »
Government has to understand that people on bicycles that ignore traffic laws are at risk of dying.  Likewise, tyrannical government is also at risk of dying, for denying free people their God given rights!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #138 on: April 25, 2011, 12:28:40 PM »
Another pet peeve of mine:

people who write and speak would of instead of would've for would have

I recently heard a line of dialog on a tv show where it was spoken correctly.  I was shocked. The actor pronounced the v sound clearly.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #139 on: April 25, 2011, 12:34:40 PM »
.... eleven11ty11! ....

I've seen this many times and I've no idea from whence it came.  What's the story?