Author Topic: Bunker2011  (Read 27125 times)

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
Re: Bunker2011
« Reply #180 on: May 24, 2011, 05:34:39 PM »

Is it a Fox News requirement that all female presenters must speak through the nose with scratchy voices?
They have the prettiest girls with the most horrible voices.
Those girls would never have made the transition to the talkies.   ::exitstageleft::

They can talk.
 ::hysterical:: ::whoohoo::
 ::exitstageleft::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

charlesoakwood

« Reply #181 on: May 25, 2011, 06:43:51 PM »

More Barnhardt

I went to Las Vegas and attended Front Sight Firearms Training Institute. I can't say enough about the excellence of the Front Sight programs, facilities, curricula, and most especially the instructors. They are professional, uber-competent, yet friendly, good-humored and approachable. Just outstanding. On this trip I took the 2-day practical rifle course (AR-15) on Friday-Saturday and the 2-day tactical shotgun course on Monday-Tuesday. Exhausting, but great, great fun and a near-vertical climb on the old learning curve. Significant events of the weekend in chronological order: ...
If you want to see Hoover Dam pics, just do a Google search. For all my cattle people, here is a nifty picture: it is one of the plaques on the top of the dam showing that the turbines and generators were made by Allis-Chalmers. Cool!

pic

Did you know that Hoover Dam is NOT anchored into the canyon in any way? It is merely WEDGED. The weight of the dam itself is the vertical anchor, and the force of the water behind it is what seats it horizontally into the sides of the canyon. When they built it, they didn't know for certain that it was even going to work. BUT THEY DID IT ANYWAY. That is AWESOME. But due to this design, if there is an earthquake, the dam can MOVE and resettle itself should the ground below or the canyon walls on the side move. SHUT. UP. Hoover Dam. I love it very much.

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #182 on: October 16, 2011, 08:14:52 AM »

I have a shallow theological theory.

Adam and Eve were butt naked in the Garden, hence it was warm. Extrapolating from that already questionable conclusion, winter is a part of the fall of man, and therefore a portion of the curse we are under.

and you don't throw out a perfectly good theory just because it's wrong. (Reference the Theory of Evolution).

Conclusion? I hate winter, and obviously love God more than you who love winter. Repent while there's still time.

TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #183 on: October 16, 2011, 10:44:48 AM »

I have a shallow theological theory.

Adam and Eve were butt naked in the Garden, hence it was warm. Extrapolating from that already questionable conclusion, winter is a part of the fall of man, and therefore a portion of the curse we are under.

and you don't throw out a perfectly good theory just because it's wrong. (Reference the Theory of Evolution).

Conclusion? I hate winter, and obviously love God more than you who love winter. Repent while there's still time.

An excellent theory that has more going for it than global warming.

(I hate winter too)
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

charlesoakwood

« Reply #184 on: October 19, 2011, 09:58:42 PM »

Offline Delnorin

• Free Speech While It Lasts
« Reply #185 on: October 20, 2011, 02:41:48 AM »
Delnorin knocks three times on the outside of the thick Bunker door, waits and then knocks twice more.  He pulls his tinted goggles up off his eyes and places them up on the top of his kevlar helmet and looks up into the inconspicuous camera mounted up in the corner above the thick steel door.

After a few moments of showing his identity to those within the door can be heard clicking open with an audible thunk and then opens as if on a spring two inches towards him, a hissing of presurized air disturbs the scarf around Delnorin's neck and pushes back some loose leaves on the ground near his combat boots.

Glancing over his shoulder, Delnorin looks up the concrete steps.  He knows he hasn't been followed to the Bunker but he still can't get over that itching feeling that the eyes-in-the-sky might have been activated again.

Heaving the several thousand pound balanced door open he slips in and pulls on the inside handle to secure the door once more.  A click as bolts slide into place inside the door sounds in the small entrance room and then the inside lights turn on and chase away the darkness.

The room is only four feet wide (the width of the door) and six feet long.  Stainless steel ceiling, walls and floor are layered with nozzles and sensors as fans in the walls turn on and begin spinning and swirling air around the entrance chamber.  The sensors sniff and calculate the air as the computer system checks if Delnorin has been contaminated biologically or otherwise.

A stainless steel door on the opposite side of the entrance chamber remains secure as Delnorin waits and watches the unlit red and green lenses above the inside door.

The green light illuminates and the inside door opens inward with a hiss.

Delnorin lets a soft sigh of relief escape as he pulls the door open, never comfortable with that feeling that he might have picked up something topside that might ban him from returning to the Bunker.

Stepping through the inner door he pulls the door closed behind him and then nods to Larry, the man on duty behind the armory cage window this afternoon.

Pleasentries are exchanged as Delnorin pulls his S&W .357 Magnum from his shoulder holster.  He flips the cylinder out and unloads the rounds into his gloved left hand and then places it on the mat through the smaller window in the cage of the weapons check counter.  The six brass cased rounds he sets on the mat before he unclips the four speedloaders from their dual holsters and places them on the mat as well.

The Ruger 10/22 he's been carrying in the crook of his arm gets his attention next.  He presses the button beneath and the clip drops out the bottom to be caught in his right hand.  He pulls the charging arm back and the small .22 long rifle round flips up in the air and he catches it.  The rifle he slides through to Larry and then puts the loose round into the clip and hands it over as well.  From pouches on his combat vest he pulls out four 40 round bananna clips for the rifle and lays them gently on the padded black mat for Larry as well.

As Larry starts to re-inventory the items back into the armory into the log book, Delnorin pulls the shoulder strap off his left shoulder and the Winchester lever action .30-.30 rifle comes around into view.  Some fast lever action cycling of the chamber flips rounds up into the air one at a time to be caught.  Seven rounds get placed on the mat of the heavier caliber and then he slides the rifle through onto the mat as well for Larry to inventory.  From pouches on his combat vest he pulls thirty rounds from the elastic loops and lays them on the mat next to the Winchester.

A long black knife gets pulled up out of a sheath on his right thigh and placed on the mat and then he starts to remove his Kevlar helmet, goggles, the combat vest itself, harnesses and holsters.

It's a thirty minute process to check everything back in and for Larry to verify that he's coming back in with all the gear he went out with earlier (minus explained usages: reports required to explain).

After getting the thumbs up from Larry, Delnorin shoulders his pack and opens up the next door, flips on the light inside and then steps through and closes the door behind himself.

A long narrow hallway of concrete stairs leading down takes Delnorin down well over one hundred feet below ground level until he comes to a landing where another reinforced steel door awaits him with an unconcealed security camera mounted in the corner above the door watching his approach.

A voice speaks from the camera, "Delnorin, glad you made it back.  I don't see any obvious injuries.  Do you need medical or are you okay?"

Delnorin looks up into the camera with a sideways grin on his three day stubbled chin, "Nothing a good shower and a cot can't fix."

The voice in the speaker hesitates a moment, "Benjamin says he wants your report before you head down into the community areas."

Delnorin nods his understanding.

The door clicks unlocked and he pulls it open and steps through.

Pulling the door closed behind himself he breathes another sigh of relief and mutters softly to himself, "Home."

A larger chamber welcomes Delnorin home.  Off to the left a set of double doors with reinforced glass set below a large red sign that reads "Sick Bay".  Beyond that another set of double doors with smaller windows set in them lie beneath a large blue sign that reads "Gymnasium".

On the right side of the chamber a heavy steel door lacking any windows sets into the concrete wall under the sign "Security".  Beyond that, another door lacking any signage.

On the far wall a set of double doors with small windows lie closed and secure below a hand crafted sign made from a roll of long white paper that reads, "Welcome Home."  The sign he has seen countless times since this became his home and a sign that lets him know he can drop down his guard again and trust people.

Turning to his right, Delnorin approaches the Security office door and it clicks unlocked as he reaches for the handle.  Pulling the handle open he moves inside and closes the door behind himself.

"Delnorin.. you lame excuse for a scout, what news do you have?"

Delnorin turns around slowly with his patented(tm) grin on his face to meet his old friend Benjamin, "Colonel; it's nice to see you too."

The two exchange hand shakes and then Delnorin puts his pack down on a metal framed padded chair and moves to take a seat in an identical chair before a metal desk as Benjamin moves around behind his desk to take a seat as well.

Delnorin eases himself down into the chair and then begins his report, "Within the outer paremeter I ran across an informant named Big Pat.  The same guy that made those .50 cal customized mounts for the jeep.  He informs me that the enemy has started probing again for weeknesses in sector Delta."

Delnorin unzips a flap on his pack and pulls out a notepad computer and flips the screen up, presses a few buttons and then starts a video before turning it around and handing it across the desk to the Colonel.

Muslim yells Allahu Ackbar and threatens all passengers on Texas aircraft

Delnorin waits for the Colonel to watch the entire video before speaking, "If you press the right arrow button the next report will come up.  I picked up this next report from Big Pat as well."

FBI questioning 5 muslims who broke into Texas courthouse

« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 02:59:36 AM by Delnorin »

Offline Delnorin

« Reply #186 on: October 20, 2011, 02:56:19 AM »
That was entirely too wicked fun... I'm going to LOVE the bunker. :)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #187 on: October 20, 2011, 03:10:09 AM »
When is the next installment?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Delnorin

« Reply #188 on: October 20, 2011, 03:12:59 AM »
When is the next installment?

I was adding on to the story with another video.. but now that someone has posted I don't want to 'modify'/update the first post.. I'll continue the story in new posts so nothing is missed. :)

I'm enjoying this way too much. :)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #189 on: October 20, 2011, 03:14:28 AM »
I can delete my post (and yours), if you like, and you can carry on as planned.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Delnorin

« Reply #190 on: October 20, 2011, 03:16:21 AM »
I can delete my post (and yours), if you like, and you can carry on as planned.

Nah.. it's better if I make new posts I think.. rather than one massive 40 MB post... better to have people look forward to updates. :)

Thanks though. :)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #191 on: October 20, 2011, 05:19:50 PM »
However the story goes, I get a smokin hot trophy wife, m-kay?
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Delnorin

« Reply #192 on: October 20, 2011, 06:39:39 PM »

If you guys want to be in my story... tell me the name you want me to use and perhaps your 'job' in the Bunker?
Cook, Security (internal Bunker, external (scout, military, scavenger, hunter, etc), Hydroponics, Medic, whatever you want your job to be.  Like Larry (security: internal).

And I'll work you in. :)

Send a private message if you want your arrival in the story to be a surprise for the others. :)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #193 on: October 20, 2011, 07:22:20 PM »

If you guys want to be in my story... tell me the name you want me to use and perhaps your 'job' in the Bunker?
Cook, Security (internal Bunker, external (scout, military, scavenger, hunter, etc), Hydroponics, Medic, whatever you want your job to be.  Like Larry (security: internal).

Send a private message if you want your arrival in the story to be a surprise for the others. :)

Hmmmm .... I'd like to be included, but I'd rather let you invent my 'job'/role; it will be more interesting.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #194 on: October 20, 2011, 07:27:13 PM »

Now this sounds like fun.  We can select our name and job?  Goody.

Lady Virginia.

nope.

Lady Virginia is the smokin' hot wife of the former British Ambassador.  She's tired of the aires and cares of the Royal elite, having heard her name in the same sentence as the word trophy one too many times.  When the Ambassador proved more in love with his station in life than her she stays in the US when he packs up and returns home.  Faced with a choice to continue on her carefree ways or become something more she embraces all things American even getting a tat of a tiny American flag on the back of her right shoulder. But more than that she embraces the principles the country was founded upon and learns from old pros what it takes to keep those rights.  Though in public she'd be mistaken for a TMZ target she knows her stuff and can put down a zombie with the best of them. Only a lucky few who ever come to the bunker get to meet her.

Something like that.

::hysterical::

I'm just playing with ya' Delnorin.  ;)  Do whatever ya' want though I'm sure you'll see think of something really cool.

What a fun idea, D! Look forward to the next chapter.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Delnorin

« Reply #195 on: October 21, 2011, 04:55:51 AM »
After Benjamin examines the footage his scout has brought in of news from the outside world he closes the screen down on the notepad computer and hands it back across the desk to Delnorin, "Good intel Del.  I've got more work I need you to see to, soon."

Delnorin nods slowly as he accepts the notebook back and slides it back into the pocket in the backpack in the chair to his right, "I figured as much," he says with a joking tone.  He speaks after only a short pause as he zips the flap shut over the notebooks pouch, "Can I have a couple days with my family before I go out again?"

The Colonel shakes his head as he runs a hand over his balding head, "I can give you one day.  Tomorrow is you and your wife's anniversary, I'll give you that; but I need you to report back in tomorrow night for your briefing."

Delnorin stands up slowly and picks up  his pack, shouldering it as he responds, "I understand, she will too.  Thank you though for the day off."

Benjamin stands up behind his desk and holds out his right hand as the two of them grasp hands tightly, "You did good work Del, now rest up."

Delnorin turns and leaves the Colonel's office and closes the door behind himself after entering into the Hub - level 2 (Medical, Gymnasium, Security).

As the scout starts to stride towards the double doors beneath the welcome home sign he stutters his step (a bit jumpy) as the medical doors open and out walks Virginia in her white lab coat.  Her hair is pulled back behind her head in a braid and she moves into the room with purpose.  As is normal with her, she always seems to have a place to go and a task at hand that needs done, and needs done yesterday.

"Del, Hey there, how is it topside?"

Delnorin moves to join her on her way to the community area beyond the double doors, matching pace with her to talk as they go together, "Not too bad.  I snagged a half dozen fox squirrels and a small deer," he says as he jostles the pack on his back, "Thanks for those chemical ice packs, without those the meat would never last the hike back here."

Virginia upnods as if dismissing the appreciation, "Tanya says your anniversary is tomorrow; you'd better not have forgotten you putz."

Delnorin pulls one of the double doors open for her and she passes through as he shakes his head and chuckles, "Darn Virginia; your more harsh than she is."

Virginia walks through into the chamber beyond the doors and the auto-lights turn on as she comes in, "Well, us women have to stick together.  If we left it up to you guys we'd all be pregnant and unappreciated.  At least we might as well get appreciation," she says as she rubs a hand over her stomach.

Delnorin's eyes widen just slightly as he steps into the room with her, "Really?  You're gunna have a baby?"

The new room they find themselves in has a large freight elevator pull up door before them and then two stairwell doors on both the left and right of the elevator.

Virginia walks towards the left hand stairwell and pushes the door open, the light inside auto-turning on as she enters and Delnorin follows her.

Virginia responds as she starts down the concrete stairs that wind back and forth going down, "That's the general consensus," she says, always with that attitude that doctors carry that they know something you don't know.  She reaches the first landing and turns to head down further, "Speaking of which, why don't you and Tanya have another one?"

Delnorin's lip snarls up slightly, "You've read our medical files Virginia, you know we haven't been able to have any kids after Kendra."

Virginia becomes quickly quiet as she continues switch-backing down the stairway, deeper and deeper into the earth.  The auto-lights turn on as they continue down each flight of stairs and above they time out and turn off.

Delnorin doesn't push the issue any more, her forgetting about their problem with not being able to have more kids was a proof that she wasn't perfect and he didn't want to interrupt her if she was thinking she should have remembered that.  Now was the time to let her realize that she wasn't so perfect after all.

After ten flights of stairs (10 floors) with no doors on any of the landings they come to their first available door and the stairs also continue down further.  On the door a small placard reads, Level 3.

Virginia stops at the door and puts her hand on the handle before turning to look at Delnorin, "Sorry about the crack about babies, I wasn't thinking."

Delnorin nods with a genuine smile on his lips, "Don't sweat it Virginia, you're good people.  I know you didn't do it to be mean."  He pauses a moment before asking, "You don't happen to be going to the mess hall are you?"

Virginia considers his question before answering, "I could be."

Delnorin grins wide and takes his pack off his shoulders and unzips the top, "Can you give them some packs of fresh meat I brought in?" He asks and explains further, "They're all clean and wrapped with the cold packs inside, not all nasty or anything," and he pulls out the wrapped plastic objects.

Virginia sighs just slightly and nods, "Sure... everyone needs the fresh meat and protein.. I'll do it," and she takes the packages from Delnorin and hefts them with both arms.

Delnorin zips the pack back up and pulls it over his shoulders before he pulls the door open and fills the stairwell with the sounds of someone playing the guitar and singing.

The room beyond the stairwell door reveals the freight elevator door beside them and then another stairwell door opposite, matching the arrangement up on Level 2.  This room though is open to the level 3 Hub without a set of double doors isolating the larger chamber from the elevator and stairwells.

The floor here is no longer concrete but covered in simple lowest-bidder tiles, meaning they're not high quality and attractive.  The furniture in the room consisted of six couches, all made of 1970's rusty orange vinyl, lovingly referred to by those that live here as nuclear furniture.  The couches were set in a large U-shape with their back towards the freight elevator and facing the opposite wall where Pandora sat perched on a metal legged stool with her guitar as she sang to a group of about twenty people.  Kids and adults mixed equally sat and listened to her play and sing as they enjoyed simple card games and board games on the floor or relaxed on some of the uncomfortable couches.

A few turned to look over their shoulders as the stairwell door announced Virginia and Delnorin's arrival with its resounding ker-thud and echo up through the stairwell.

Head-nods exchanged so as not to interrupt Pandora's song, Virginia split off towards the right and Delnorin moved off towards the left.

The Level 3 Hub was the center for the community level.  Access on the right wall where Virginia was heading held archways that led to several locations.  Each archway was well labeled above on signs and each archway had the same yellow/black striped flat edge above the head that reminded everyone that each was a blast door that would lower down when needed.

On the right side of the Level 3 Hub were archways labeled Mess Hall, Hydroponics and the third archway was labeled Restrooms.  On the far side of the Hub were three additional archways; School, Theater and Supply Closet 3a.

On the left side of the Level 3 Hub where Delnorin was walking towards three arches had their official plaques covered over with homemade wooden signs painted by hand.  The signs over the arches read, Wyoming, Colorado and Utah.  Each archway led to its separate housing area but the residents had decided long ago that it was better to say they lived in Wyoming 12c instead of Pod A 12c.

Delnorin picked up his pace, his heart quickening a bit as he felt himself drawing closer to his family as he stepped through the archway to Colorado and started striding down the tiled walled hallway.

The sounds of Pandora's song slowly fades behind him as Delnorin fixes his mind on their living quarters ahead, taking the hallway to the end past several doorways and then to the end of the hallway he turns left where it branches both left and right and he plows right into Priest.

"Hey there.. watch where you're....", Priest berates Delnorin for his clumsiness.

"So sorry... didn't hear you coming," Delnorin apologizes.

Priest points up to the convex mirror mounted high on the wall at the intersection that is made for people to see around the corners, "Forgot about the mirror?"

Delnorin frowns, tired and dirty and not feeling all that willing to get chastised much further so his voice doesn't sound too generous when he offers, "Congratulations on the coming baby Priest.  Virginia seems happy."

Priest seems disarmed and distracted for the moment as a smile comes over his face, "Yeah.. she does doesn't she," he grins from ear to ear.  He takes a half step back away from Delnorin so they can chat casually, "Oh, I put that new centrifugal pump in that you brought me last week.  It's not exactly the right size but it's good enough to get the pressure up in Colorado for the showers to work okay again."

Delnorin nods his head and smiles wide at the good news, "Perfect.  I was worried it might be a low volume high pressure casing by the looks of it; I'm glad it wasn't.  Some of those guys over in Colorado were getting pretty ripe," he jokes with a chuckle.

Priest laughs a bit at the comment, "Oh, I should talk to you later.  There are some more electrical supplies I need the next time you go out.  Square D Fuses and a few other things.  Do you still have areas close that you can scavenge?"

Delnorin nods as he adjusts his pack on his back for comfort, "Yeah, we've got quite a few places left.  I haven't even spent much time in the city yet.  Things are still in chaos there with gangs and the UN troops seem to have moved on to another area right now."

Priest considers the scouts news, "Good, I'll prepare a list of what I need.  When you going out again?"

Delnorin hmms with a bit of a frown, everyone seemed to come between him and his family, "Two days from now."

Priest nods and starts walking off towards the Hub, "Okay, I'll get my list together... and Del... watch the mirrors."

Delnorin chuckles to himself and shakes his head as she regains his path towards home, heading down the hallway to where it dead ends.  He's passed dozens of archways into individual family rooms as well as two different community restrooms/showers until he's come to the archway at the end of the hall here.

Delnorin raises his right gloved hand and raps solidly on the steel door.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 12:49:36 AM by Delnorin »

Offline Delnorin

« Reply #196 on: October 21, 2011, 05:06:30 AM »
Bunker Story Credits:

Thus far:

Benjamin - military leader

Delnorin - scout / hunter / scavenger

Larry - weapons cage

Pandora - musician / singer

Priest - electrician / mechanic

Virginia - doctor / medic

Additional duties likely for each person.  Requests still taken if you want to be added to the story or you want any specifics worked into the plot-line.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 05:18:26 AM by Delnorin »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #197 on: October 21, 2011, 08:51:34 AM »
BUMP!

::beertoast::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Delnorin

« Reply #198 on: October 21, 2011, 08:55:46 AM »
BUMP!

@

why the bump?  A post on this thread happened 1 1/2 hours ago.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #199 on: October 21, 2011, 09:04:45 AM »
BUMP!

@

why the bump?  A post on this thread happened 1 1/2 hours ago.

OK, I take it back.

::whatgives::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.