Author Topic: A shocking list of movies I've never seen  (Read 8202 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
A shocking list of movies I've never seen
« on: January 02, 2012, 03:59:51 PM »
There are movies that permeate the culture to the point that people assume everyone has seen them and understands references to them. There are several movies (and TV shows) that I have never seen, and the people in my life respond with some disbelief when I admit to it. I'm wondering if anyone else experiences the same thing, or am I just an oddball.

Here's a partial list - more possibly added later:

Movies:
Animal House
Saturday Night Fever
The Sound of Music
Grease
Shrek
Austin Powers
Apocalypse Now

TV shows:
The Simpsons
Seinfeld
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
Re: A shocking list of movies I've never seen
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 05:00:59 PM »
You are culturally deprived

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 05:09:05 PM »
Just my two bits -

Animal House - Hilarious, but low-brow humor to say the least, the measure by which all other in the genre are judged.

Saturday Night Fever - Can't stand disco so I would rather eat broken glass, I've seen parts of it and I no doubt this crap gets lots of airtime in hell.

The Sound of Music - A classic, not my favorite movie of all-time, and I have a problem with nuns and Nazi's dancing and signing like everything is just peachy in the Third Reich.

Grease - No disco and only Olivia Newton John makes this even worth watching.

Shrek - Saw it cause my nephews wanted to, having said that it was tolerable and like most modern toon flicks it has some humor adults can giggle at.

Austin Powers - Saw all three, best enjoyed if partially or completely inebriated, not cult follower of the series but the sight gags are pretty good.

Apocalypse Now - The premise stinks and I usually avoid Martin Sheen more than I do VD, but it has parts that are amusing like surfing during a combat raid...no way in hell that would be allowed without having butts in slings, but the "I love the smell of napalm in morning" line is immortal.

The Simpsons - Used to watch early on, then I got bored.  Bart's pranks on Moe are good, but that's about it for me.

Seinfeld - I admit I watched every episode, the characters were so quirky, despicable and selfish...but it was funny as heck.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 06:07:00 PM »

Movies:
Animal House ------------- no
Saturday Night Fever----- no
The Sound of Music ------- ...mmmmmmm the hills are alive
Grease --------------------- no
Shrek ---------------------- never heard of it
Austin Powers ------------- no
Apocalypse Now ----------- on TV. The party scene on the river with the go go playmates has got
                                                    to be the most surreal juxtaposition in A list movie history.

TV shows:
The Simpsons ------------- once
Seinfeld -------------------- no
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 07:15:40 PM by Charles Oakwood »

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 06:38:36 PM »
Holy crap.....YOU are an oddball..... ::laughonfloor::

I'll recommend Animal House, the best gutter type humor going. And i agree, the sight gags in Austin Powers are funny as hell.

I also find these types of flicks an emotional release during liberal presidencies.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 06:59:41 PM »
Just my two bits -

Spot on Libertas  ::beertoast::

edited to add that I've seen all of them but Animal House is the only one in my library. Every once in a while I need the sort of absurdist humor ("Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son") that movies like this provide.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 07:02:56 PM by Alphabet Soup »

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 07:17:59 PM »
Animal House ------------- yes
Saturday Night Fever-----  yes
The Sound of Music ------- yes
Shrek ----------------------- yes

Saw bits of a few different Seinfelds, but basically, no to the rest.  Never seen Casablanca.

Also never watched The Sopranos (absolutely not paying for HBO); never seen one episode of American Idol nor Survivor.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 07:36:53 PM »
Animal House ------------- yes
Saturday Night Fever-----  yes
The Sound of Music ------- yes
Shrek ----------------------- yes

Saw bits of a few different Seinfelds, but basically, no to the rest.  Never seen Casablanca.

Also never watched The Sopranos (absolutely not paying for HBO); never seen one episode of American Idol nor Survivor.

I've never seen Casablanca either. I never saw the Sopranos on HBO, but we did buy a couple seasons on DVD to check it out. It's good TV. Too gritty for the kids though, so it's tough to get into it too far.

I've never seen Survivor either, and I've seen American Idol once or twice, in addition to a whole lot of youtube clips of the show.

ETA: Also, I watched a few of the old James Bond flicks when I was a teenager but I never really liked them all that much.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 10:09:08 PM »
Animal House...saw it when it came out. Laughed until I hurt but I was eighteen or so and not too terribly sophisticated so take that for what it's worth. It was most definitely the high mark of the "National Lampoon" brand...everything else since has been unremarkable and yes, I include "Vacation" in that critique. I appreciated the extremely crude yet sophisticated humor of the National Lampoon magazine which had (sort of, by way of the Harvard Lampoon) already dished out the "Bored of the Rings" and would also give us the sage wit of P.J. O'Rourke.

Saturday Night Fever...what can I say? I hated disco with a passion so, no, I didn't see it and probably never will. Didn't see "Urban Cowboy" for about the same reasons. I did go to Gilleys once when Neil Young performed there but that is as close to "Urban Cowboy" as I ever got.

The Sound of Music...classic Rogers & Hammerstein musical with almost nothing in common with the true story of the Von Trapp Family Singers story. Nevertheless, it is a very well produced, acted and directed musical and worth seeing.

Grease...never saw it because I couldn't stand the lead actor and actress. I wasn't crazy about the 1950's genre either...just not my thing. I did see "West Side Story," though, and thought it was mostly okay.

Shrek...saw it with my kid (the one who is currently in the Army) when it came out in 2001. You do things like that when you can...see a family friendly movie because there are so few released. It was better than average (average being crap like "Care Bears") and I particularly liked the not quite hidden ridicule of Disney and its CEO Michael Eisner (who was portrayed as an arrogant midget). Well worth seeing but the sequels are mostly crappy.

Austin Powers...saw part of the first one and then lost interest and changed the channel.

Apocalypse Now...forced myself to go to it, stay awake through it and not get up and leave before it was over. Such is the respect that I had and continue to have for Coppola as a film maker. I guess everyone is entitled to produce a crappy movie every now and then. At least he isn't M. Night Shyamalan.

The Simpsons...watched it for the first season or two and then got bored and never went back. Bonus points to anyone who remembers where the Simpsons appeared before they had their own show.

Seinfeld...watched most of the shows although I liked it a lot more in the earlier seasons before the writing took a decidedly crude turn due to what I can only assume was a dearth of ideas. I saw Jerry Seinfeld a year or two before he got the television sitcom on an hour long HBO special and it was the funniest thing I had seen in years...way better than anything George Carlin was doing at the time.

There's lots of stuff that I haven't seen and it's mostly because there's just so much stuff to see these days. It used to be that there were only three networks that produced shows and almost all of them were produced in house. That changed in the seventies when independent production companies got seriously rolling...I seem to remember that Mary Tyler Moore's MTM production company was one of the first successful ones.

Same thing with movies. There are just a zillion that come out every year and I honestly do not know how anyone can see them all. And, of course, most aren't worth seeing. I have to read reviews and, given the liberal bent of most reviewers, have to read between the lines and consider the source when judging what to actually pay money for. Pay per view is a bargain at $6 compared to $10 and up movie tickets.

ADDED

"Casablanca" is a classic and well worth seeing. "The Maltese Falcon" is good, too. "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" is NOT to be missed...my personal Bogart favorite.

Some of the Sean Connery Bond films are good as long as you remember when they were made. Some sucked. All of the Roger Moore Bond films sucked...horribly over produced with none of the wit and charm of Connery. The first Daniel Craig Bond film was very good...the second one, not so much.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 10:22:03 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 10:28:26 PM »
The Simpsons...watched it for the first season or two and then got bored and never went back. Bonus points to anyone who remembers where the Simpsons appeared before they had their own show.

one Ding

British comedienne had a weekend variety show in the mid 80s and as a tag at the end
of the show a short clip of Homer and crew would be played.  Ah dunna remember er name.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 10:37:17 PM by trapeze »

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 10:37:29 PM »

one Ding

British comedienne had a weekend variety show in the mid 80s and as a tag at the end
of the show a short clip of Homer and crew would be played.  Ah dunna remember er name.

Very good. It was Tracey Ullman on the first or second season that Fox was a network. She used the Simpson characters in short bits between skits and stuff.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 10:41:37 PM »
Very good. It was Tracey Ullman on the first or second season that Fox was a network.

Thanks...I could picture her face but couldn't recall the name.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 10:50:38 PM »
Our society is increasingly relying on references to movies  and TV as a form of cultural literacy...  I  have been trying to make sure my kids see the original shortly beofre or right after they see a parody of it.  The Simpsons is an excellent guide for pointing out which movies those are- they really have had no choice but to parody previous material - they just have had too long of a run.  Or as South Park said, "the Simpsons Already did it"

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 11:19:53 PM »
Very good. It was Tracey Ullman on the first or second season that Fox was a network.

Thanks...I could picture her face but couldn't recall the name.

She's not in a lot. One of my personal favorites, though, is "I Love You To Death" with Kevin Klein. William Hurt and Keanu Reeves as the drugged out incompetent hit men were terrific. And how many films can you name where William Hurt is anything but a snooze?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 07:32:30 AM »
OMG Pan & IDP, you have to see Casablanca, I like just about every Bogart movie, in addition to Casablanca some of my fav's include The Caine Mutiny, African Queen, To have and to have not, Key Largo, High Sierra, Maltese Falcon, Sahara, The big sleep and the original Sabrina with Audrey Hepburn.

::thumbsup::

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 08:17:03 AM »
I've seen bits and pieces of some Bogart films by osmosis on TV, but looking at that list, I don't believe I've ever watched one deliberately all the way through. I'll have to fix that.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 08:34:09 AM »
Animal House - An all timer
Saturday Night Fever - Disco sucked.  Didn't you get the memo?
The Sound of Music - OK for that sort of thing
Grease - Read that memo again
Shrek - Part of it as the nephews and nieces were watching
Austin Powers - Ya baby!
Apocalypse Now - maybe a long time ago

TV shows:
The Simpsons - nope.  Just don't get into cartoons
Seinfeld - 1/2 an episode.  Not funny.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 12:56:54 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out when Hollywood took its "left turn" . Maybe right after the Black List . But most of Hollywood's  "Greats" were staunchly conservative Republicans i.e. Gary Cooper , James Stewart , Clark Gable , John Wayne , Ward Bond , George Murphy , James Cagney , Robert Taylor , Barbara Stanwyck , Irene Dunne , Ginger Rogers , William Holden , Tyrone Power , Bob Hope , Bing Crosby , etc.

The libs have had a lock on Hollywood for almost fifity years and I'd like to see it swing back some time before I die .

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 06:35:22 PM »
Wasn't Tyrone Powers a queer?

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 06:44:07 PM »
Wasn't Tyrone Powers a queer?

Maybe you've got him confused with Rock Hudson.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson