Author Topic: It's Friday  (Read 12655 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Re: It's Friday
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2011, 11:35:15 AM »

Video and audio, back then for sure, is not done at the same time.  They do each separately then the engineer/producers put them together.  If it's live it's done as what is referred to today as lip sink.  Live performance, actual, was rare.

The "set" would necessarily have to be as secure as a recording booth.

I know, but this video really redlined my BS meter.  They really look like they're using their instruments as props.  

I'm not a musician, so I can't vouch for the guitar and bass player.  Maybe IDP can fill us in.  I've never seen a "drum kit" quite like that, though.  One bass drum and one tom-tom?  And the guy is standing.  How is he playing the bass drum, by telepathy?

And prove to me that there's actually a keyboard behind that box.   ;D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 11:46:29 AM by rickl »
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2011, 11:52:39 AM »

Video and audio, back then for sure, is not done at the same time.  They do each separately then the engineer/producers put them together.  If it's live it's done as what is referred to today as lip sink.  Live performance, actual, was rare.

The "set" would necessarily have to be as secure as a recording booth.

I know, but this video really redlined my BS meter.  They really look like they're using their instruments as props.  

I'm not a musician, so I can't vouch for the guitar and bass player.  Maybe IDP can fill us in.  I've never seen a "drum kit" quite like that, though.  One bass drum and one tom-tom?  And the guy is standing.  How is he playing the bass drum, by telepathy?

No question that they're lip-synching - badly. As far as whether they actually know how to play their instruments, it's hard to tell. They certainly aren't making any effort to make it appear as if they're actually playing the song. Not even during the keyboard solo, where they show the hands, do the hands match the notes being played. And you never see the guitar player's left hand, only rigorous strumming that doesn't fit what you hear. Standing drum kits were unusual, but more common in those days. But the drummer's motions have no relation whatsoever to what the drums are doing. He actually "hits" air-cymbals several times. The bass player is the only one who looks comfortable with the instrument. The way he's holding it, the angle of his right wrist is very typical for bass players. But there again, you only get very brief glimpses at the left hand.

Jury's out on whether they CAN play the song. But no question that they are NOT coming close to going through he motions to make it appear as if they are playing the song correctly.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 12:06:37 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up, IDP.

I know that lip-synching was commonplace for TV appearances back in the 60s.  I remember seeing a photo of the Beatles on a TV show where there were no amps or wires on stage.  They were holding electric guitars that were not connected to anything.  But we know that they could play their instruments, or at least go through the motions in that case.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2011, 12:12:11 PM »
Oh heck, while we're at it, here's one of my favorite YouTube videos:

Stairway To Heaven - The Beatnix
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2011, 12:40:47 PM »
I guess I am too young and too old for this thread!

:P

ETA - If it's gotta be about Friday, this annoys me the least...

The Cure - Friday Im In Love
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 12:57:39 PM by Libertas »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2011, 12:58:14 PM »
I guess I am too young and too old for this thread!

:P

All right, how's this for a palate cleanser?  I saw this at American Digest awhile back, and recently dug it up for a comment at Transterrestrial Musings.  The drummer, Joe Morello, died a few days ago at age 82.

This was a 1964 TV appearance, and I'm pretty sure they weren't lip-synching.  Watch it in full-screen mode.

Adventures in Music 04
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2011, 01:12:03 PM »
That is definitely a live performance. One cool thing about that is the consistency of meter from beginning to end. Meter is one of those things that separates bad drummers from good, and good from great (meter being measured in beats-per-minute and time-division consistency throughout). A drummer's meter can make an entire band sound locked-in tight, or elastic and disjointed, no matter how great the rest of the musicians are. A drummer has to have at least some meter ability, or songs inevitably begin at one pace and end at another (see; Lars Ulrich, Metallica for a quintessential example of horrendous live-performance meter).

This cat Joe Morello maintains meter in a 5/4 song (very unusual time signature) throughout all the free-form improv riffing and even a drum solo, and when the song and its identifiable melody kick back in towards the end, you can A/B between the beginning and the end and there is absolutely no variation in the meter. Without verifying with some of my audio software I would say that it is exact to the beats-per-minute. (I have impeccable meter, and can hear the slightest variations)
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2011, 01:30:39 PM »
Yeah, no lip-synching, check.

Not a bad drummer though...but as far as drums go, a few years later, this may be the one I remember the best...6:30 mark of first link...

In A Gadda Da Vida - Iron Buttefly I

In A Gadda Da Vida - Iron Buttefly II
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2011, 01:55:19 PM »
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2011, 03:52:29 PM »

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2011, 10:51:38 AM »
"Friday, friday ....".

*sigh*  It doesn't have to be good music for it to get stuck in yer head ....

Thanks, IDP; I owe ya one.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2011, 11:00:14 AM »
"Friday, friday ....".

*sigh*  It doesn't have to be good music for it to get stuck in yer head ....

I owe myself one.  ::whatgives:: It's the first damn thing that popped into my head this AM when I woke up. My older boy works at a local hotel water park, and he said that the teenagers have been singing it incessantly for three days. For better or worse (or neither), the "phenomenon" (for lack of a better word) of this song has been absorbed into the popular culture.

ETA: 26,020,797 YouTube views and counting....
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 11:02:22 AM by IronDioPriest »

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2011, 11:04:55 AM »
"Friday, friday ....".

*sigh*  It doesn't have to be good music for it to get stuck in yer head ....

I owe myself one.  ::whatgives:: It's the first damn thing that popped into my head this AM when I woke up. My older boy works at a local hotel water park, and he said that the teenagers have been singing it incessantly for three days. For better or worse (or neither), the "phenomenon" (for lack of a better word) of this song has been absorbed into the popular culture.

ETA: 26,020,797 YouTube views and counting....

LOL!  Good!  That's what ya get ....

26 MILLION .... Hoo boy.....
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2011, 11:15:55 AM »
#19 most downloaded song on iTunes. The girl's gonna make some ching.

Now let's hope that she and her parents are wise enough to invest it in something other than a music career.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2011, 11:20:11 AM »

Good grief.

Now let's hope that she and her parents are wise enough to invest it in something other than a music career.

I'm afraid this will only encourage her.  She's doing pretty well so far.

~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Miltrainer

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2011, 11:23:41 AM »

::hysterical::
You want the truth?....You can't handle the truth!

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2011, 12:28:46 AM »
Zombie weighs in.  Lots of comments, too.

I had no idea this was such a phenomenon.  I'm living in my own little world here.
~ Ann Barnhardt

charlesoakwood

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2011, 12:47:17 AM »

It like sucks dude, no body piercings, no tattoos, no semi nudity, no vulgarity, no girl on girl or even girl on guy, wow; it's really nowhere. These people are like geek you know. Totally.

Zombie @ pajamas
I think “Friday” is popular with the 10-to-14-year-old crowd specifically because its lyrics are completely innocent and unsophisticated. Kids are sick of being barraged with sexuality and violence and cynicism. At last, for the first time in a long time, a pop song for kids is not about humping or angst. Kids just want to be kids! And Rebecca Black is their new guide.

I'll take it.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2011, 09:22:32 AM »

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2011, 09:23:55 AM »

How much does this kid stand to make?
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie