Author Topic: It's Friday  (Read 12698 times)

charlesoakwood

Re: It's Friday
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2011, 08:40:10 PM »
My 7 year old daughter seemed to like it, but I'm kinda stumped as to why this is garning so much attention.  It wasn't really awful (of course I've been desensitized by a lot of Hannah Montana.)

Miley Cyrus Slams Rebecca Black
“It should be harder to be an artist,” while adding, “You shouldn’t just be able to put a song on YouTube and go out on tour.”
[blockquote]~Miley Cyrus, who would have no career whatsoever if not for her famous father and entertainment industry nepotism[/blockquote]

::beertoast:: ::newyear::Happy Friday....  ::newyear:: ::beertoast::

In another topic the question of what has become of the music industry/is music dead was broached. 

Miley's famous father was "discovered" when he was 29 years old.
How many groups or musicians have become famous after they were 25 years old?  None come to my mind.  Generally the exception presents itself very early. 

Billy Ray, the Dixie Chicks, and many others are a product of packaging firms.  These firms use the same techniques Karl Rove uses to determine what "product" will earn them the greatest cost/benefit ratio.

They construct an attractive product then they sell it.  Music or art may be an accidental by product.  The quality in the product comes from professional designers, engineers, arrangers, choreographers, studio musicians and coaches.  The product is technically "perfect" but it is not music or art.

It's crap in a shiny package sold to illiterates.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2011, 09:51:44 PM »
My version of the Bob Dylan (Mike Bauer) cover of Friday by Rebecca Black

This meme is taking on a life of its own, and that's kind of scary.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2011, 10:35:53 PM »
OK MAKE IT STOP!!
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2011, 10:36:45 PM »
OK MAKE IT STOP!!

Really!  And it's not even Friday.  (Wait.  It isn't Friday, is it?)
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2011, 11:07:46 PM »
OK MAKE IT STOP!!

Really!  And it's not even Friday.  (Wait.  It isn't Friday, is it?)

It will never be Friday again!! This is officially a Friday free zone!! ::lalanotlistening::
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2011, 11:25:42 PM »

There will always be Friday.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2011, 08:51:32 AM »
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2011, 04:33:01 AM »
That is cute, and very well done.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2011, 09:12:05 AM »
Thank God for the Sunday Sunday parody of the Friday Friday song.
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2011, 10:06:57 AM »
I always thought we were supposed to fish on friday.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2011, 12:11:36 PM »
Arms So Freezy: Rebecca Black's "Friday" As Radical Text

She offers the camera a hostage's smile, forced, false. Her smoky eyes suggest chaos witnessed: tear gas, rock missiles and gasoline flames. They paint her as a refugee of a teen culture whose capacity for real subversion was bludgeoned away somewhere between the atrocities of Kent State and those of the 1968 Democratic Convention, the start of a creeping zombification that would see youthful dissent packaged and sold alongside Pez and Doritos.

“Look and listen deeply,” she challenges. An onanistic recursion, at once Siren and Cassandra, she heralds a new chapter in the Homeric tradition. With a slight grin, she calls out to us: “I sing of the death of the individual, the dire plight of free will and the awful barricades daily built inside the minds of all who endure what lately passes for American life. And here I shall tell you of what I have done in order to feel alive again.”

She moves from a home made vexing by obligations to the bus stop and there, in the public sphere, appears to find freedom from authoritarian programming in the form of a Mercedes convertible filled with high-status peers.

They stop and invite her to join them, a moment evoking Fitzgerald's Tender is the Night but with a postmodern twist suggestive of a post-historical amnesia: On this "Friday," it is no longer French leisure but German engineering that promises delivery from the snares of family and self-image.

“Gotta make my mind up,” she sings, overjoyed to finally exert some control over her fate; “Which seat can I take?”

Yet here the discerning viewer notes that something is wrong. Because it is a simple matter of fact that in this car all the good seats have already been taken. For Rebecca Black (her name here would seem to evoke Rosa Parks, a mirroring that will only gain in significance) there is no actual choice, only the illusion of choice.
::laughonfloor::

Too funny...trying to find existentialism in the lyrics of a 14 yo girl.

FWIW: As ear-bugs go it could be worse - much worse.

For the rest of it - I hope she has thick skin because the critics are ruthless.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2011, 12:51:38 AM »
Tonight I went to a local bar where a friend is the DJ.  He's been doing it since the late 80s, so it's become sort of a tradition.  The crowd is usually small, maybe a dozen, but there are various ages and musical tastes.  He takes requests and will play anything from the Grateful Dead to hip-hop to Benny Goodman.

When he started he spun records on turntables, but as times have changed, he now uses a laptop computer with songs stored on an external hard drive.  He can download songs he doesn't have and can also play songs on YouTube.

His playlist appears on the screen in iTunes, and at one point while I was talking to him I noticed "It's Friday" was in the list, about two songs ahead.  I said, "NO NO NO NO NO!  You're not going to play that?!"  Turned out he had never heard of it.  Some young guys on the other side of the bar had requested it as a joke.  I had to explain it to him and tell him the story of how it had become an internet sensation.

Naturally, I requested "It's Sunday" to immediately follow it.
~ Ann Barnhardt

charlesoakwood

« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2011, 10:47:16 AM »

Offline michelleo

« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2011, 10:16:21 PM »
Okay.  Not all youtube musical numbers have to be annoying.
Here's a young man I came across awhile ago:

You can find more of his stuff at danielhassixstrings

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2011, 10:14:40 AM »
Reblecha Black is releasing a new sensational music video on July 18th.

Cue vomit meds and buckets.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2011, 10:18:21 AM »
Reblecha Black is releasing a new sensational music video on July 18th.

Cue vomit meds and buckets.

...The song was widely mocked and parodied for its shoestring film clip, banal lyrics and Black's unusual Auto-Tuned singing. It has since racked up 167 million plays on YouTube, making it the most-watched video in the site's history...

That blows my mind.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2011, 10:19:10 AM »
That blows.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2011, 10:20:52 AM »

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2011, 10:28:19 AM »
It's an absolute crime that a piece of crap gets this kind of attention while other (vastly superior) performers* labor in relative obscurity.

*shameless, yet sincere, plug for site owner
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 10:31:22 AM by trapeze »