Author Topic: Great Super Bowl commercial  (Read 2542 times)

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
Great Super Bowl commercial
« on: February 03, 2013, 09:11:26 PM »
It was a commercial for Ram trucks but it had an essay by Paul Harvey

So God Made a Farmer

And on the 8th day God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker!". So, God made a farmer!
God said I need somebody to get up before dawn and milk cows and work all day in the fields, milk cows again, eat supper and then go to town and stay past midnight at a meeting of the school board. So, God made a farmer!
I need somebody with strong arms. Strong enough to rustle a calf, yet gentle enough to deliver his own grandchild. Somebody to call hogs, tame cantankerous machinery, come home hungry and have to wait for lunch until his wife is done feeding and visiting with the ladies and telling them to be sure to come back real soon...and mean it. So, God made a farmer!
God said "I need somebody that can shape an ax handle, shoe a horse with a hunk of car tire make a harness out of hay wire, feed sacks and shoe scraps. And...who, at planting time and harvest season, will finish his forty hour week by Tuesday noon. Then, pain'n from "tractor back", put in another seventy two hours. So, God made a farmer!
God had to have somebody willing to ride the ruts at double speed to get the hay in ahead of the rain clouds and yet stop on mid-field and race to help when he sees the first smoke from a neighbor's place. So, God made a farmer!
God said, "I need somebody strong enough to clear trees, heave bails and yet gentle enough to tame lambs and wean pigs and tend the pink combed pullets...and who will stop his mower for an hour to mend the broken leg of a meadow lark. So, God made a farmer!
It had to be somebody who'd plow deep and straight...and not cut corners. Somebody to seed and weed, feed and breed...and rake and disc and plow and plant and tie the fleece and strain the milk. Somebody to replenish the self feeder and then finish a hard days work with a five mile drive to church. Somebody who'd bale a family together with the soft strong bonds of sharing, who'd laugh and then sigh...and then respond with smiling eyes, when his son says he wants to spend his life "doing what dad does". So, God made a farmer!

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: Great Super Bowl commercial
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 09:13:52 PM »
It was a great spot until they dedicated it to "the farmer in all of us." For me, that would be like showing all of the sacrifices that our soldiers make and then dedicating the ad to "the soldier in all of us." I just thought that line was disrespectful after the touching buildup.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 09:21:45 PM »
It was a great spot until they dedicated it to "the farmer in all of us." For me, that would be like showing all of the sacrifices that our soldiers make and then dedicating the ad to "the soldier in all of us." I just thought that line was disrespectful after the touching buildup.

I agree, Trap.  I'm in another room and I heard that and had to go see what it was about.

The last line ruined it.  Now a bunch of people who carry hand sanitizer and wet wipes and sip their Starbucks on the way to the organic farmers market are going to think they're farmers when they drive around in their Ram truck. 
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 09:24:34 PM »
There was another commercial that I had to go back into the room and check out.
It mentioned churches and prayer so I was curious.
Oprah narrated it and it was for the USO.

I was just amazed that they said "church" and "prayer"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 09:43:28 PM »
A week or so ago I posted an article on my facebook page about a Stanford study showing that much of the produce certified "organic" by Unca Shuggah is no healthier or less toxic than its industrial farm counterparts.

My hippie brother's hippie wife responded, "I didn't know you were a farmer."

Now I can say that I am...

... except that on HER facebook page today, she said she hates football, and if that makes her a bad American then so be it, to which my brother chimed in, "If you don't watch the game the terrorists win."

So I don't think they'll be responsive to me claiming to be a farmer based on the Super Bowl ad.

::facepalm::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

TeachX3

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 10:23:27 PM »
Love Paul Harvey!  My favorite was the Bud Clydesdale... made me tear up  LOL and my husband likes funny, so his favorite was the Doritos goat.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 10:44:18 PM »
A week or so ago I posted an article on my facebook page about a Stanford study showing that much of the produce certified "organic" by Unca Shuggah is no healthier or less toxic than its industrial farm counterparts.

... except that on HER facebook page today, she said she hates football, and if that makes her a bad American then so be it, to which my brother chimed in, "If you don't watch the game the terrorists win."

So I don't think they'll be responsive to me claiming to be a farmer based on the Super Bowl ad.

You should ask them how many little brown people they're willing to condemn to starvation and malnutrition with their holier-than-thou attitudes asserting the moral supremacy of organic. Because we could not even begin to feed this world without the wonders of synthetic chemistry in the form of fertilizer and pesticide.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 10:48:40 PM »
I didn't see all the commercials, but of the ones I did see easily the worst was that GoDaddy commercial of Bar Rafaeli (or whoever she is) kissing that nerdy kid. The mouth noises were just gross.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 11:06:53 PM »

You should ask them how many little brown people they're willing to condemn to starvation and malnutrition with their holier-than-thou attitudes asserting the moral supremacy of organic. Because we could not even begin to feed this world without the wonders of synthetic chemistry in the form of fertilizer and pesticide.

Their response would be that Monsanto is poisoning people while in the process of attempting to control the world food supply through genetic modification and lobbying politicians with dirty corporate money to eliminate legacy seeds, and that there are better ways to feed brown children. Of course, the needs of those children in the here and now are not considered in their utopia. It's all about what should and shouldn't be - not ever what is.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 11:53:58 PM »
It was a commercial for Ram trucks but it had an essay by Paul Harvey

So God Made a Farmer

And on the 8th day God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker!". So, God made a farmer!
God said I need somebody to get up before dawn and milk cows and work all day in the fields, milk cows again, eat supper and then go to town and stay past midnight at a meeting of the school board. So, God made a farmer!
I need somebody with strong arms. Strong enough to rustle a calf, yet gentle enough to deliver his own grandchild. Somebody to call hogs, tame cantankerous machinery, come home hungry and have to wait for lunch until his wife is done feeding and visiting with the ladies and telling them to be sure to come back real soon...and mean it. So, God made a farmer!
God said "I need somebody that can shape an ax handle, shoe a horse with a hunk of car tire make a harness out of hay wire, feed sacks and shoe scraps. And...who, at planting time and harvest season, will finish his forty hour week by Tuesday noon. Then, pain'n from "tractor back", put in another seventy two hours. So, God made a farmer!
God had to have somebody willing to ride the ruts at double speed to get the hay in ahead of the rain clouds and yet stop on mid-field and race to help when he sees the first smoke from a neighbor's place. So, God made a farmer!
God said, "I need somebody strong enough to clear trees, heave bails and yet gentle enough to tame lambs and wean pigs and tend the pink combed pullets...and who will stop his mower for an hour to mend the broken leg of a meadow lark. So, God made a farmer!
It had to be somebody who'd plow deep and straight...and not cut corners. Somebody to seed and weed, feed and breed...and rake and disc and plow and plant and tie the fleece and strain the milk. Somebody to replenish the self feeder and then finish a hard days work with a five mile drive to church. Somebody who'd bale a family together with the soft strong bonds of sharing, who'd laugh and then sigh...and then respond with smiling eyes, when his son says he wants to spend his life "doing what dad does". So, God made a farmer!

As I was in mixed (aka some dems were watching) company at a Super Bowl gathering, I couldn't help myself after the Harvey spot......so I struck. I asked what the heck was that. A farmer? ( I drew some stares) .....then proclaimed god didn't build that.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 12:32:26 AM »
Personally, IDP, I do think there is enough evidence to question the safety of GMO foods.

Also, some of the touted benefits of Monsanto's stuff is already getting diminishing returns.

BTW, I'm not an organic fanatic.
Growing up we used manure because we had it.

I don't have a lot of it so I do use fertilizer.

Back to Monsanto.
I raise heirloom corn and save my seeds.
The farmer next to me uses Monsanto seed.
His seed contaminates mine.
Legally, I am not allowed to use my seed because it infringes on Monsanto's patent.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 12:54:07 AM »
Personally, IDP, I do think there is enough evidence to question the safety of GMO foods.

Also, some of the touted benefits of Monsanto's stuff is already getting diminishing returns.

BTW, I'm not an organic fanatic.
Growing up we used manure because we had it.

I don't have a lot of it so I do use fertilizer.

Back to Monsanto.
I raise heirloom corn and save my seeds.
The farmer next to me uses Monsanto seed.
His seed contaminates mine.
Legally, I am not allowed to use my seed because it infringes on Monsanto's patent.

Oh, believe me, I get the whole argument against Monstano and the danger of genetic modification. My point in bringing it up is that to my brother and his lovely bride, any and all evidence and reason that counters their narrative can be swept away by snidely pointing out that I'm not a farmer.

Anyhoo, didn't mean to totally hijack.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 07:13:27 AM »
I didn't see all the commercials, but of the ones I did see easily the worst was that GoDaddy commercial of Bar Rafaeli (or whoever she is) kissing that nerdy kid. The mouth noises were just gross.

It was odd...I was laughing and disgusted at the same time.  I guess that one got voted worst of them all.

Made me want to see the goat commercial again.  (Damn, that sounded kinda gay in a jislamic sense, sorry!)

Missed the horse one and the farmer one.  The Audi commercial "have fun tonight" was OK but I like the VW one with the Minnesota guy speaking like a hopped up Jamaican, that one was just silly.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 08:24:20 AM »

It was odd...I was laughing and disgusted at the same time.  I guess that one got voted worst of them all.

Made me want to see the goat commercial again.  (Damn, that sounded kinda gay in a jislamic sense, sorry!)

Missed the horse one and the farmer one.  The Audi commercial "have fun tonight" was OK but I like the VW one with the Minnesota guy speaking like a hopped up Jamaican, that one was just silly.

That's the one that has the raaaacisss screamers screaming .. err ..... RAAAACISSS!

Funny thing Gunsmith told me this morning:  his boss is Jamaican (been here for quite some time, however) and imparted to him the fact that Jamaica has four different .... groups; one your usual Black, one Oriental, one Indian (dot, not feather) and one White.  Picture "Jamaican" coming out of the mouth of a guy with the turban and beard.

So, only far-fetched and silly if one didn't know that, which we didn't.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline WinterAngel

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 08:31:39 AM »
I thought the Clydesdale horse ad was the best and the cutest.  It also brought a tear to my eye.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 10:37:23 AM »
I thought the Clydesdale horse ad was the best and the cutest.  It also brought a tear to my eye.

Hey, welcome welcome welcome!

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 11:23:07 AM »

That's the one that has the raaaacisss screamers screaming .. err ..... RAAAACISSS!

Funny thing Gunsmith told me this morning:  his boss is Jamaican (been here for quite some time, however) and imparted to him the fact that Jamaica has four different .... groups; one your usual Black, one Oriental, one Indian (dot, not feather) and one White.  Picture "Jamaican" coming out of the mouth of a guy with the turban and beard.

So, only far-fetched and silly if one didn't know that, which we didn't.

Well, heck, if it is being labeled the raaaacist ad by libiots, then it is my #1 ad I want to see played more!!   ::whoohoo::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 05:52:32 PM »

This one hit home for me.
<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/57645172" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 01:42:54 AM »
HotAir's recap of SuperBowl ads included this one, "The Power of Sweetness".

Budweiser Super Bowl Ad 2013 - The Clydesdales Brotherhood

If that don't grab you by the heart, you ain't got one.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 01:56:14 AM »