Author Topic: PRISM and Fed spying  (Read 20514 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: PRISM and Fed spying
« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2013, 07:44:14 PM »
And the asswipes in the Senate have more pressing matters to attend to than to sit around and listen to classified briefings about government spying on Americans....probably because they want and like government spying on Americans.

These people are by definition not Americans.

Isn't it time they were all classified as enemy combatants?

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/305765-senators-skip-classified-briefing-on-nsa-snooping-to-catch-flights-home#ixzz2WHh6qpXb
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 08:39:57 PM by Libertas »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2013, 08:36:25 PM »

Start with the one's that didn't show up for the briefing.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2013, 10:56:03 PM »
Time to throw another State Department sex scandal on the barbie...

Kerry Howard says she was bullied, harassed and forced to resign after she exposed US Consul General Donald Moore’s alleged security-threatening shenanigans in the Naples, Italy, office.

As the post’s community-liaison officer, Howard was charged with keeping workplace peace and advising higher-ups on the state of morale, but when she revealed allegations about her boss, State Department officials swept it under the rug, according to an Equal Employment Opportunity complaint she filed with the department’s Office of Civil Rights.

“It’s cover-up after cover-up. It’s absolutely hideous,” she told The Post. “When our diplomats disrespect the Italians by hiring and firing them because they have seen too much — or use them for ‘sex-ercise’ — we have to question why we have diplomats abroad at taxpayer expense.”
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2013, 02:05:42 AM »
Time to throw another State Department sex scandal on the barbie...

Kerry Howard says she was bullied, harassed and forced to resign after she exposed US Consul General Donald Moore’s alleged security-threatening shenanigans in the Naples, Italy, office.

As the post’s community-liaison officer, Howard was charged with keeping workplace peace and advising higher-ups on the state of morale, but when she revealed allegations about her boss, State Department officials swept it under the rug, according to an Equal Employment Opportunity complaint she filed with the department’s Office of Civil Rights.

“It’s cover-up after cover-up. It’s absolutely hideous,” she told The Post. “When our diplomats disrespect the Italians by hiring and firing them because they have seen too much — or use them for ‘sex-ercise’ — we have to question why we have diplomats abroad at taxpayer expense.”
And they called Reagan the Teflon president, oh, that's right, the media was out to get him.

NY Post - The soap opera in Italy unfolded in the fall of 2010, when Moore became the Naples consul general after serving in the same capacity at the US Embassy in Port au Prince, Haiti. As a senior foreign-service officer, Moore could make as much as $179,700 a year, State Department data says.
Howard detailed the alleged affair in certified letters to members of Congress, including California Sens. Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer, in December, said Howard’s lawyer, Lawrence Kelly.

“More and more intimate details of their relationship became common knowledge,” Howard wrote, adding that the staffer became pregnant and wanted to keep the baby, but that Moore insisted she get an abortion.

“She informed anyone within earshot that she had had the abortion and had her tubes tied at his instruction,” Howard wrote. “Morale continued to sink as this soap opera played out in our workplace on a daily basis.”

ETA:
       Wasn't Bill Clinton Ambassador to Haiti in 2010?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2013, 06:55:51 AM »
"As the post’s community-liaison officer, Howard was charged with keeping workplace peace and advising higher-ups on the state of morale,"

Well, there is another problem right there.

Not only do we have too much government, the government we do have is intentionally filled with hacks and cronies...so little wonder it is ineffective, wasteful and degenerate.

BOT - "The NSA yesterday declined to comment to CNET. A representative said Nadler was not immediately available."
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-06-16/nsa-admits-warrantless-wiretapping-according-house-judiciary-committee-member

The "any analyst can do it" understanding is in agreement with what Snowden said.

In other news, Darth Cheney says Snowden is likely a traitor and a spy for China.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Decoder/2013/0616/Dick-Cheney-Edward-Snowden-a-traitor-who-likely-spied-for-China-video

Last I heard Liz is supporting daddy.  I guess Dick and Liz can KMA!

In a related story...China is asking...well, asking is not the right word, probably more like "Hey, bitch (Obama), wtf?!"!

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/17/us-usa-security-china-idUSBRE95G06R20130617

Too much drama...all of it bad.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 07:05:19 AM by Libertas »

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2013, 09:54:39 AM »
For the record, I do now believe that Snowden is a traitor and is acting traitorously. I believe, based on his statements, actions and documents released that he is working against the best interests of the United States and is providing aid and comfort to our enemies.

That said, I also believe that the Dumbass administration has thoroughly corrupted the NSA, CIA, FBI and IRS to serve its own ends rather than those of the country.

In other words, I believe that what Snowden is doing is completely wrong but I also believe that he is doing it because the Dumbass administration is not being held accountable (by anyone) for its very obvious transgressions. Sort of the ultimate "two wrongs don't make a right" argument.

In a just world both parties would be horsewhipped in public.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 11:18:17 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2013, 10:51:35 AM »
For the record, I do now believe that Snowden is a traitor and is acting traitorously. I believe that, based on his statements, actions and documents released that he is working against the best interests of the United States and is providing aid and comfort to our enemies.

That said, I also believe that the Dumbass administration has thoroughly corrupted the NSA, CIA, FBI and IRS to serve its own ends rather than those of the country.

In other words, I believe that what Snowden is doing is completely wrong but I also believe that he is doing it because the Dumbass administration is not being held accountable (by anyone) for its very obvious transgressions. Sort of the ultimate "two wrongs don't make a right" argument.

In a just world both parties would be horsewhipped in public.

Out corrupting the corrupt. Probably steaming the Obama corruption machine.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

RickZ

« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2013, 11:00:34 AM »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #108 on: June 17, 2013, 11:30:05 AM »
I still stand by my comment made 6 days ago.

http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,8428.msg100518.html#msg100518

I would normally agree with you 100%, but...

...the last thing the Regime and the alphabetsoupagencies want is Snowden alive and chatty in a courtroom...plus, any courtroom would be Federal and sealed from any and all public view...but I don't think it will happen...this guy is going to wind up dead by US hands or eventually dead at foreign hands once they suck what they can out of him...I think this dude is dead man walking.

http://www.businessinsider.com/edward-snowden-nsa-murder-jail-asylum-obama-leaker-guardian-glenn-greenwald-2013-6

ETA - Another link:  http://www.zerohedge.com/node/475336
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 11:45:40 AM by Libertas »

charlesoakwood

« Reply #109 on: June 17, 2013, 12:04:31 PM »
I read this as a much broader brush.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/reviews/opinion/item/15719-aldous-huxley-and-nsa-leaker-snowden

Aldous Huxley and NSA Leaker Edward Snowden

“In 1931, when Brave New World was being written, I was convinced that there was still plenty of time,” wrote Aldous Huxley in 1958 in Brave New World Revisited. “The completely organized society, the scientific caste system, the abolition of free will by methodical conditioning, the servitude made acceptable by regular doses of chemically induced happiness, the orthodoxies drummed in by nightly courses of sleep-teaching — these things were coming all right, but not in my time, not even in the time of my grandchildren.”

Huxley saw the process of passing from “one extreme to the other,” from a basically uncontrolled society to ”the much too orderly Brave New World where perfect efficiency left no room for freedom or personal initiative,” coming faster than he had imagined in 1931.

Stating that technology had reduced the long interval he anticipated between an unregimented society and the crushing of individuality and personal uniqueness by an all-pervading state, Huxley warned that “modern technology has led to the concentration of economic and political power, and to the development of a society controlled (ruthlessly in the totalitarian states, politely and inconspicuously in the democracies) by Big Business and Big Government.”

On how individuals have been affected by technological advances and the expansion of state monitoring and control, Huxley quoted psychologist-philosopher Dr. Erich Fromm.

“Our contemporary society, in spite of its material, intellectual and political progress, is increasingly less conducive to mental health, and tends to undermine the inner security, happiness, reason and the capacity for love in the individual; it tends to turn him into an automaton who pays for his human failure with increasing mental sickness, and with despair hidden under a frantic drive for work and so-called pleasure,” wrote Fromm.

Under these conditions, stated Fromm, “let us beware” of “defining mental hygiene as the prevention of symptoms.” Neurotic “symptoms as such are not our enemy, but our friend; where there are symptoms there is conflict, and conflict always indicates that the forces of life which strive for integration and happiness are still fighting.”

In others words, asserted Huxley, “The really hopeless victims of mental illness are to be found among those who appear to be normal.”

Many are viewed as “normal,” said Fromm, “because they are so well adjusted to our mode of existence, because their human voice has been silenced so early in their lives, that they do not even struggle or suffer symptoms as the neurotic does.”

Explained Huxley: “They are normal not in what may be called the absolute sense of the word; they are normal only in relation to a profoundly abnormal society. Their perfect adjustment to that abnormal society is a measure of their mental illness. These millions of abnormally normal people, living without fuss in a society to which, if they were fully human beings, they ought not to be adjusted, still cherish ‘the illusion of individuality,’ but in fact they have been to a great extent 'deindividualized.’ Their conformity is developing into something like uniformity. But (as Fromm wrote) ‘uniformity and freedom are incompatible. Uniformity and mental health are incompatible too.… Man is not made to be an automaton, and if he becomes one, the basis for mental health is destroyed.’”

Huxley’s warning in 1958 was straightforward: “The Will to Order can make tyrants out of those who merely aspire to clear up a mess. The beauty of tidiness is used as a justification for despotism.”

Ralph R. Reiland is an associate professor of economics and the B. Kenneth Simon professor of free enterprise at Robert Morris University in Pittsburgh.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #110 on: June 17, 2013, 12:50:55 PM »
Interesting quotes from Huxley.  I've always had an interest in the different depictions of dystopian futures and how fanciful or plausible they are. Huxley's and Orwell's are often mentioned in the same discussion, and of the two I find Huxley's the more disturbing precisely because of how superficially benign it is. One way I heard the distinction described is "in Orwell's 1984 people don't read books because they are aggressively censored; in Huxley's Brave New World people don't read books because no one has any desire to."

That dumbed down incuriousness is closer to the mark with respect to our modern reality.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #111 on: June 17, 2013, 01:48:06 PM »
“They are normal not in what may be called the absolute sense of the word; they are normal only in relation to a profoundly abnormal society. Their perfect adjustment to that abnormal society is a measure of their mental illness. These millions of abnormally normal people, living without fuss in a society to which, if they were fully human beings, they ought not to be adjusted, still cherish ‘the illusion of individuality,’ but in fact they have been to a great extent 'deindividualized.’ Their conformity is developing into something like uniformity. But (as Fromm wrote) ‘uniformity and freedom are incompatible. Uniformity and mental health are incompatible too.… Man is not made to be an automaton, and if he becomes one, the basis for mental health is destroyed.’”

Absolutely.

We are not a bunch of maladjusted misfits, "they" are driving us insane.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #112 on: June 17, 2013, 08:47:41 PM »
Let there be no doubt a new generation of slavishly devoted fascists are prepared to carry the all-consuming flame of tyranny forward...

http://www.campusreform.org/blog/?ID=4796

Domestic enemies self-identifying without fear of retribution.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #113 on: June 18, 2013, 01:31:57 AM »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #114 on: June 19, 2013, 07:28:54 AM »
Nothing to see here, move your ass along!

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2013/06/nsa-friggin-beer-video/66360/

Yeah, that wasn't nefarious at all...

::rockets::

charlesoakwood

« Reply #115 on: June 20, 2013, 07:32:54 PM »

The only one that didn't roll over was Louie
and it appears they are going to keep him in
a box.
[blockquote] Guardian - Revealed: the top secret rules that allow NSA to use US data without a warrant
However, alongside those provisions, the Fisa court-approved policies allow the NSA to:

• Keep data that could potentially contain details of US persons for up to five years;

• Retain and make use of "inadvertently acquired" domestic communications if they contain usable intelligence, information on criminal activity, threat of harm to people or property, are encrypted, or are believed to contain any information relevant to cybersecurity;

• Preserve "foreign intelligence information" contained within attorney-client communications;

• Access the content of communications gathered from "U.S. based machine-s-" or phone numbers in order to establish if targets are located in the US, for the purposes of ceasing further surveillance.[/blockquote]   

charlesoakwood

« Reply #116 on: June 20, 2013, 10:34:32 PM »

“They went after...high-ranking military officers; they went after members of Congress, both Senate and the House, especially on the intelligence committees and on the armed services committees and some of the–and judicial,” Tice told Peter B. Collins on Boiling Frog Post News.

He went on: “But they went after other ones, too. They went after lawyers and law firms. All kinds of–heaps of lawyers and law firms. They went after judges. One of the judges is now sitting on the Supreme Court that I had his wiretap information in my hand.

http://redtape.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/06/20/19061109-lawyers-eye-nsa-data-as-treasure-trove-for-evidence-in-murder-divorce-cases?lite

You people at the NSA, y'all own the world and y'all are doing a piss poor job operating it.  You myopic geeks are worse than bureacrats, let the politicians go free and allow us the Republic to revive itself.  OK?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2013, 12:31:57 PM »
A government that can and will do anything it wants to do and the people let it happen is no longer a government I want any part of.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2013, 02:41:01 PM »
Ecuador via Russia, Cuba & Venezuela?

Ecuadorean Foreign Minister Ricardo Patino, visiting Vietnam, tweeted: "The Government of Ecuador has received an asylum request from Edward J. #Snowden."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/23/us-usa-security-flight-idUSBRE95M02H20130623

Every spook and assassin on the payroll and every freelance killer on the planet looking for a fat payday or going to be flocking to this guy like vultures.

On the plus side these economies should get a short-term boost with all that travel and hotel action...not to mention the bar tabs and hooker fees.

ETA - Plans changed, something spooked him, still in Russia, and Russia is not reacting kindly to US demands.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/24/us-usa-security-flight-idUSBRE95M02H20130624

Regime thugs threatening other countries to knuckle under to their demands...

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/former-nsa-contractor-snowden-leaves-hong-kong-moscow-080843121.html
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 06:53:54 AM by Libertas »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #119 on: June 25, 2013, 07:21:09 AM »
Russia tells Obama Regime to piss off.  Cool, we hate being the only ones doing that.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OBAMA_SNOWDEN_DIPLOMACY?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-06-25-06-16-54

Heard on the radio that they think the ChiCom's hacked into everything Snowden had on laptops and drives...maybe, maybe not...then again, who's fault would it be anyway?  Why is it that nobody is asking the pertinent question - "Why does a guy have to leave the country to tell the truth?", right?

Apparently Russia wants to keep Snowden close at hand.  I'm sure that'll drive the Obongo Regime even more crazy.

http://www.zerohedge.com/node/475660

::popcorn::
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 07:37:28 AM by Libertas »