Author Topic: Pet Peeves - What's yours???  (Read 18293 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Pet Peeves - What's yours???
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 02:29:35 PM »
...people who stop in front of any kind of entrance or right-of-way (like
when they get off elevators, escalators, the entrance to an amusement park and they whip out the map to decide where to go, they walk inside Target and stop...)

...mothers with strollers loaded down for a caravan across the desert

...people shopping in stores who talk on their bluetooth so we all know about dad's surgery or mom's new curtains
(my favorite was the woman talking about her cousin getting out of prison)

...people who sit down in front of you at the movies and the place is empty
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 03:11:41 PM »
People who order a meal #1 then start asking for substituitions, which is the same as a #5.
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Offline Janny

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2011, 04:44:44 PM »
...mothers with strollers loaded down for a caravan across the desert

People who put five and six year olds in strollers...and then wonder why their kid is fat?

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2011, 05:11:51 PM »
Maybe this is proof that I am rapidly approaching old-fartdom, but I get irritated by people saying "LOL".

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2011, 05:15:18 PM »
If you hire a 17 pc Big Band, and promise refreshments.....

A cart with 20 cups of ice, and two pitcures of water - DOES NOT QUALIFY as refreshments.

Just sayin....

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2011, 05:27:05 PM »
Maybe this is proof that I am rapidly approaching old-fartdom, but I get irritated by people saying "LOL".

Yes!  WTH is up with that?  Just laugh out loud; we'll get it.

I'm with IDP on Duh Wun's sibilant essess - CAN'T STAND IT!  His galumphing wife can't properly pronounce the "s" at the beginning of a word; it's not a "shtreet", it's a "street" - there's no "h" there!

People driving while talking on their cellphones.  It's ubiquitous; I'm not suggesting a law (although some places have them), it's just infuriating because they're NOT paying attention to their driving.  I've seen people get in their parked vehicles, start the engine, then get on their phones as they're trying to back out of the parking space.

People coming from the other direction who turn right in front of me sans turn signal, leaving me sitting there when I could have turned as well.

The supermarket oblivions who block the aisle with their carts, walk away, and leave their purses in the seat; that's a three-fer for fckin' stoopit.

And this last but not least - put the coins in my hand FIRST, then the bills and the receipt so the change doesn't slide off the paper onto the counter and the floor.  How hard is that that to understand?

Thank you, radioman, for this opportunity to vent.   ::rant::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2011, 05:50:45 PM »
I can't stand people that bitch about everything. ::exitstageleft::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Janny

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2011, 06:08:30 PM »

LOL

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2011, 07:22:59 PM »
I know it's accepted as proper English now after generations of common usage, but the word "orientated" bugs the hell out of me. The word "oriented" will do just fine in EVERY instance, thank you very much.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2011, 07:59:24 PM »

::rockethrow::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2011, 08:13:21 PM »
If you hire a 17 pc Big Band, and promise refreshments.....

A cart with 20 cups of ice, and two pitcures of water - DOES NOT QUALIFY as refreshments.

Just sayin....

How do you spell refreshments?

O P E N    B A R

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2011, 08:16:44 PM »
I know it's accepted as proper English now after generations of common usage, but the word "orientated" bugs the hell out of me. The word "oriented" will do just fine in EVERY instance, thank you very much.

I think "orientated" is a Britishism, like "aluminium".
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2011, 08:37:07 PM »
Traffic related:

"Keepers of the speed"

Well, maybe not quite so much anymore but once upon a time they were easily enough to make me see red. I get it if there's sufficient traffic that no one can go the speed limit but if you're going 58 in the fast lane and see that everyone is trying to go around you, why can't you move over into the slow goddam lane?!!!

(deep breath....slow release)

I'm better now  ::bashing::

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2011, 08:47:11 PM »
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2011, 09:19:57 PM »

The supermarket oblivions who block the aisle with their carts, walk away, and leave their purses in the seat; that's a three-fer for fckin' stoopit.

I see this all the time. I'm sure I wouldn't be a good thief but geez these folks make me think I could lift a few wallets.  They often have their purses wide open too!

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2011, 09:22:50 PM »

Oh, that's how one can tell? Then I'm safe. LOL
 ::exitstageleft::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2011, 09:28:31 PM »
Traffic related:

"Keepers of the speed"

Well, maybe not quite so much anymore but once upon a time they were easily enough to make me see red. I get it if there's sufficient traffic that no one can go the speed limit but if you're going 58 in the fast lane and see that everyone is trying to go around you, why can't you move over into the slow goddam lane?!!!

Come to Florida and leave the guns home. ::oldman::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2011, 09:55:25 PM »
Traffic related:

"Keepers of the speed"

That's what that spring loaded light beam lever is for, start with one, then two, and continue the sequence until the wake up or your lights are stroboscopic.

Works for me.

it's amazing how people, virtually unconscious, drive for years without killing themselves or others.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2011, 10:00:06 PM »

it's amazing how people, virtually unconscious, drive for years without killing themselves or others.

I often wonder how they make it to Starbucks in the morning without breadcrumbs.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2011, 10:36:14 PM »
Also hearing someone referred to as a "Nimrod" ... as a derogatory term . The A**HOLES you use the term better find out who Nimrod was !  ::gaah::

Nimrod was the guy responsible for building the Tower of Babel, a really stupid idea in and of itself, and who also thought of himself as God or a god or something. I have always thought of nimrod as being synonymous with "arrogant, self-important moron."

Now, as long as we are on "words" I will toss out the one that irritates me the most.

I am more than a little ticked off when I hear someone say, "I'm nauseous." I have to stop myself from saying, "No, really, you aren't so godawful ugly that I want to throw up at the sight of you."

nauseous
[naw-shuhs]

–adjective
1.affected with nausea; nauseated: to feel nauseous.
2.causing nausea;  sickening; nauseating.
3.disgusting; loathsome: a nauseous display of greed.

The word that they should use if they see something that makes them feel sick is "nauseated" as in, "I am nauseated," or, "I feel nauseated." The "nauseous" thing got started in the early 1980's with the whole, "gag me with a spoon" Valley girl thing although a major contributing factor is the general poor state of English language instruction in America. The #1 definition is in direct support of the misuse of this word for the last thirty years...the dictionary people giving up to the stupidity of  poorly educated and the whims of popular culture.

Pretty much all "Valspeak" annoys me although I did enjoy Frank Zappa's song with the Valley girl interjections by his daughter...

Frank Zappa - Valley Girl
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 10:40:22 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.