Author Topic: US/Euro Intervention in Syria  (Read 13336 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: US/Euro Intervention in Syria
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2013, 03:16:07 PM »
You break it, you own it.

Unless the GOP is even vaguely involved.

Then if you break it the GOP owns it.

Because they are a bunch of stupid idiots.

And that's the truth.

Really, Congress?

Are you really taking this sucker bet?

Really?

You're willing to bail out President Barack Obama after he's managed to set the Middle East on fire?

You're going give Obama cover after two years of Syrian civil war, a growing threat to Israel, a nuclear Iran closer than ever, and Egypt and Libya in chaos...all of which has been met with a shrug and “at this point what difference does it make?” nonchalance?

As in practically everything but campaigning, Barack Obama's zone of competence in foreign policy is so far in the rearview mirror it's almost comical...and now he wants the GOP to save him from himself.

He's being played by sand-trap dictators, Al Qaeda's bankers and Russian bad boys like some rube just fallen off the pumpkin truck...but please, go ahead and join him.

By all means, become a stakeholder in an ill-planned Administration policy with almost no possible good outcomes for the United States.

While you're at it, reward Obama and the Democrats' brazen, utterly shameless hypocrisy over war and Presidential power as if the last 10 years didn't happen.

You're going to get the stink of his failures and incompetence all over you? Fabulous. Apparently, they don't call us the stupid party for nothing.

His usual media top-cover seems shaky, his polling is soft, and his own caucus is muttering in discontent. This time, the man with the premature Peace Prize based on sanctimonious, prissy speeches is faced with the brutal realities of his failed policies.

Only the House and Senate GOP can save him.

So by all means, throw the man who views you with contempt and has tirelessly sought your political destruction a life preserver.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2013, 03:50:32 PM »
Perhaps it's all for a reason. Maybe it will bring the final destruction of the GOP.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2013, 04:07:21 PM »
Everything they've done has been to enable Obama.
They're on the same team-Big Government anti liberty team

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2013, 05:23:58 PM »
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2013, 05:39:32 PM »
Arabs to pay for war - with what else- oil money

USA - Our Military is now a mercenary force for hire- for oil.  Go Dems!

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2013, 05:55:59 PM »
And now a prevailing theory says this is to get natural gas lines through Syria into Europe, to end the monopoly Russia's Gazprom has had over the gas supplies to Western Europe.

Let's hear it liberals: "No blood for gas!  No blood for gas!"

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2013, 06:30:28 PM »
And now a prevailing theory says this is to get natural gas lines through Syria into Europe, to end the monopoly Russia's Gazprom has had over the gas supplies to Western Europe.

What blood there isn't going to be any,Obama said so.

H/T Bonz at the grouchies.

All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2013, 08:56:26 PM »
For my friend Trapeze...

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2013, 07:47:28 AM »

Yes, that was in the Economic Collapse article I posted.  And the Pubbies are all set to accept co-responsibility for this fustercluck we have no business participating in.  Euro's want cheap gas?  Tough sh*t, get it yourself, why do we have to do their bidding and at the same time the bidding of the Arabs?

And people can forget about Rand filibustering the Senate vote, IIRC war powers resolutions suspend normal Senate procedure, all you can do is vote it up or down...or pull an Obama and select "present".  If this resolution fails it has to fail in the House where the votes are too close to call, and it must fall because enough Pubbies defied their suicidal leadership.

I am not especially filled with optimism.

Regardless, with or without a vote, Obama has (as we see in JF's post) painted himself into a corner.

Boy, would I like to be Vlad Putin for a day...not many have the opportunity to bitch-slap the POSOTUS...relish it!

War-mongering Dem's!  Baby-killers!  Trigger-happy Cowboys!  Frustrated metrosexuals trying to act like they have big genitals!  Murderers!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2013, 07:57:21 AM »
ChiCom's keep warning the trigger-happy Amerikan's too...maybe they'll call in the IOU's and this will end in a whimper?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-09-05/china-officially-backs-russia-syria-warns-military-action-would-have-negative-impact

PS-It would be a hoot if Snowden appeared at the G20 conference and blew a fat rasberry at President PeacePrize!   ;D

ETA - Russia releases 100 page report detailing Obama-supported rebels launched chemical attacks, this on the heel of Putin telling the truth and calling SoS Kerry a liar.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/09/05/201268/russia-releases-100-page-report.html

Even the Old Grey Hag, that bastion of leftist tripe is reporting how swell these rebels are...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/05/world/middleeast/brutality-of-syrian-rebels-pose-dilemma-in-west.html?hp&_r=0

And this has me spooked a bit - [urlhttp://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/09/05/russia-warns-of-nuclear-disaster-if-syria-is-hit/]“If a warhead, by design or by chance, were to hit the Miniature Neutron Source Reactor (MSNR) near Damascus, the consequences could be catastrophic,”[/url]

Ultimate Russian red-line?

The US needs to butt out of this...but the US is stuck with a giant butt who wants the distraction and glory.

Pooched!   ::gaah::
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:52:45 AM by Libertas »

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2013, 12:48:01 PM »

This is the Arabs telling Obongo "let's you and him fight", and it's bullsh*t.  Since when do we hire out our military?!

Per Wretchard, PJM's "Belmont Club":

"The offer is on the table", John Kerry is quoted as saying.

"Secretary of State John Kerry said during a hearing Wednesday in the House of Representatives that counties in the Arab world have offered to foot the entire bill for a U.S. military mission that destroys the Bashar al-Assad regime in Syria.

'With respect to Arab countries offering to bear costs and to assist, the answer is profoundly yes,' Kerry said. 'They have. That offer is on the table.'

Kerry, with a cadre of anti-war activists sitting behind him and holding red-painted hands aloft in protest, declined to name the countries that have proposed opening their purses. ...

As for 'the details of the offer, and the proposal on the table,' Ros-Lehtinen asked Kerry, 'what are the figures we are talking about?

'We don’t know what action we [will be] engaged in right now,' Kerry replied, 'but they have been quite significant. I mean, very significant.'

'In fact, some of them have said that if the U.S. is prepared to go do the whole thing, the way we’ve done it previously in other places, they’ll carry that cost. That’s how dedicated they are to this.'"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2411806/Offer-table-Arab-countries-pay-scale-U-S-invasion-Syria-says-Secretary-State-John-Kerry.html
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2013, 02:08:27 PM »

This is the Arabs telling Obongo "let's you and him fight", and it's bullsh*t.  Since when do we hire out our military?!

"Secretary of State John Kerry said during a hearing Wednesday in the House of Representatives that counties in the Arab world have offered to foot the entire bill for a U.S. military mission that destroys the Bashar al-Assad regime in Syria.

'With respect to Arab countries offering to bear costs and to assist, the answer is profoundly yes,' Kerry said. 'They have. That offer is on the table.'

Kerry, with a cadre of anti-war activists sitting behind him and holding red-painted hands aloft in protest, declined to name the countries that have proposed opening their purses. ...

As for 'the details of the offer, and the proposal on the table,' Ros-Lehtinen asked Kerry, 'what are the figures we are talking about?

'We don’t know what action we [will be] engaged in right now,' Kerry replied, 'but they have been quite significant. I mean, very significant.'

'In fact, some of them have said that if the U.S. is prepared to go do the whole thing, the way we’ve done it previously in other places, they’ll carry that cost. That’s how dedicated they are to this.'"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2411806/Offer-table-Arab-countries-pay-scale-U-S-invasion-Syria-says-Secretary-State-John-Kerry.html

The few, the proud, the Mercs.

I can't find anyone who is serving or has served who want to fight along side the enemy.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Magnum

« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2013, 05:24:30 PM »
I am repulsed by the entire Middle East with the exception of Israel. It is a cesspool and is run by Monsters. All monsters to be sure but some are worse than others.

My heart tells me to let the place burn with the hope that they will be immersed in a civil war for years thus taking up their time killing each other while leaving the innocents free.

However there is one Monster that I feel must be stopped. That is Iran. They are hell bent on first destroying Israel and then us. This is what they live for and it consumes them with unquenching thirst.

Iran is watching closely what happens. If we do nothing I believe it will emboldened them and more violence will be the outcome. I believe this will help determine when their war with Israel will begin. Yes we should have done something sooner but I can only deal now with the realities at hand.

We have a president that I believe will go down as the worst president that has ever occupied the office. He and I are diametrically opposed. He has handled this Syrian situation (along with Iran, Libya, Egypt, etc.) as badly and as ineptly as anyone possibly could. His red line statement and depending on the mode of action stemming from it could be one of the gravest mistakes he has ever made. I love this country and with it my fellow conservatives. But I hate evil and trying to understand how absolutely evil, hateful, viscous without conscience the Monsters of Iran are I am struggling mightily over what is the best course of action the United States should take even if it is at odds with some of my fellow conservatives I greatly admire.

Therefore I think we should get it over with and bomb the heck out of Iran's military/nuclear facilities now. Syria is a proxy of Iran anyway and feel we are going to be in conflict with them sooner or later so I would tell Israel lets go and get this done.

Israel is silent now to see how this plays out. From what I have heard Israel believes they are alone and will have to attack Iran with out the help of the United States having observed such a detestable incompetent administration we have. Israel is buying time but time is running out.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 05:44:22 PM by Magnum »
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your GOD will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2013, 05:42:45 PM »
Comment by "Dlanor" at American Thinker

.... This Prog position is becoming clearer. Progs are against Shiites, but wish to make common cause with Sunnis. Progs were upset at Bush for taking out Sunnis. Principles have nothing to do with their position. For their collectivizing, liberty-destroying cause, they will sacrifice millions in a heartbeat. Simply put, elite Sunnis have better standing with the Prog NWO than Shia. If there is another explanation, test it against Ann Coulter's analysis.
Saddam was much worse than Assad, yet Obama was loud against striking Iraq. So what's the principled difference? The "principle" is that Obama identifies with the Sunnis who sponsor the Muslim Brotherhood. Everything else from the regime consists of lies and bs. Yes, Valerie Jarrett has ties with Shia Iran. However, she also has ties with Hamas and the Muslim Brotherhood. And there are other Muslims who are close to the regime. Like Huma Abedin, Hilary's former assistant, who is Sunni. It's not that Obama disagrees with the substance of Rev. Wright or Osama Bin Ladin. It's that he disagrees with their methods. Obama's style is to lay the groundwork to restore the Caliphate and mesh it with political invasion, so the West does not see what's coming until it's too late. Taquia, not toppling towers.

Although the Muslim Brotherhood is predominantly Sunni in doctrine, it has Shia associates in Iran. It's purpose is foremost to wage jihad for Islam. Once shariah and the caliphate are established, then issues of doctrine can be sorted out. Both Sunnis and Shia have an idea of a Mahdi. Just the sort of thing to appeal to someone who fancies himself as being God's gift to the world. That's the creepy thing about pictures of Obama adoring himself in the mirror. This makes the gun running behind Benghazi even creepier. Putin is surely considering that Obama's ego sees himself as being either the Mahdi or a precursor. So Putin will consider how to use Obama's grand delusion against him. Either way, the world, with Obama's fu fingers on big buttons, is in a tight fix.
I can't support Obama using the American military as al Qaeda's air force. Ted Cruz is right: Nothing good can come of this. If Obama wants more trust, he must first kick the muslims out of the WH! The situation is probably not as good as it looks.

I've read elsewhere that Assad is Sunni, ruling over majority Shia Syria.  Wheels within wheels.

We should have moved against Iran already.  As we haven't, we should not further destabilize yet ANOTHER country in the Middle East, particularly based on what this Regime is telling us.  They lie.  About everything.

As I wrote elsewhere on this thread:

"Not only are the British not coming, the Germans, the French, the UN, and the Canadians are not coming either.  Nor is NATO.  The Russians, however, will be kibitzing from the sidelines, with a big fat raspberry to Obongo, who has not properly gone to Congress for authorization to lob a few cruise missiles, for a couple-three days, at predetermined minor infrastructure targets, to not include Assad or his regime, beginning on a certain date, all of which have been announced to the world, despite there being no US national interest, nor national security issue at stake.

That about cover it?"

Plus, the Arabs are agreeing to pay us for putting the lives of our military at stake?  Oh, hell no.

If Iran launches against Israel, we will then have a reason to get involved as Israel is an ally.  If and until then ....... no.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2013, 07:08:19 AM »
Nice comments...most of what Dlanor says is moot, Obama is as likely to boot Muzzies out of his midst as Slick Willie is about to give up chunky young chicks.

Magnum has it pretty much right, Israel is largely on her own, and they correctly see no difference between Sunnis or Shiites, both who want them annihilated, but they properly see Iran as the bigger threat.  Those Persians are controlled by a special kind of Shia madness that will actively seek actions that bring them closer to their Iblis-controlled Mahdi!  Syria is a sideshow for Lord Obama, a tool to run his magic act back here.  And I am dubious of how much support he would give Israel when she acts...Israel would best recall the much debated Golda Meir threat to Nixon to go nuclear if he didn't expedite necessary military hardware lickity-split, Bibi may need to play that trump card too in order to get Obama off his ass.

God help us all, and Israel in her time of need!   ::praying::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2013, 07:49:06 AM »
Obama is expanding the target list...see how that pending loss in the House vote is going?  He'll go anyway...what kind of leverage or cooperation these GOP jackasses who want to vote for his dirty little war really expect?  Idiots!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/06/world/middleeast/pentagon-is-ordered-to-expand-potential-targets-in-syria-with-a-focus-on-forces.html?hp&_r=0

And diplomats being evacuated from Lebanon...well duh?!  Doesn't take a genuis to see that place being levelled in the process, does it?!

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_US_LEBANON_SYRIA?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-09-06-08-08-18

And the Persians itchin' for some action...so the Main Event is warming up as the sideshow intesifies.

http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php?topic=3674.new#new

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2013, 03:51:56 PM »

Since his friends need a pipeline.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2013, 02:21:55 AM »
So get this: the Obama regime is actually perplexed that they have failed to win the support of -- wait for it -- Iran in the looming kinetic action against Syria, i.e. the war-that-won't-be-a-war according to John Kerry.

That's right, this gaggle of cloistered eggheads at the State Department had actually convinced themselves that Assad using chemical weapons would cause the Iranians to shun him and leave him to twist in the wind. The Affirmative Action president has made a lot of Affirmative Action appointments to what, as it turns out, are actually pretty darn important positions. This particular bit of weapons grade stupidity comes courtesy of Samantha Power, she of "R2P" fame. But she has the right set of reproductive organs, so don't dare question her competence.

Iran is enduring economic sanctions designed to slow the country's nuclear weapons program, but President Obama's team thought the regime might abandon dictator Bashar Assad over his use of chemical weapons in Syria's civil war.

Samantha Power, the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, hoped that a team of UN investigators — many of whom, presumably, have a longstanding relationship with Iranian leaders -- could write a report that would convince Iran to abandon its ally at the behest of the United States.

"We worked with the UN to create a group of inspectors and then worked for more than six months to get them access to the country on the logic that perhaps the presence of an investigative team in the country might deter future attacks," Power said at the Center for American Progress as she made the case for intervening in Syria.

"Or, if not, at a minimum, we thought perhaps a shared evidentiary base could convince Russia or Iran — itself a victim of Saddam Hussein's monstrous chemical weapons attacks in 1987-1988 — to cast loose a regime that was gassing it's people," she said.

Rather than "cast loose" Assad after the latest chemical weapons attack, as the Obama team hoped, "Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Khamenei has warned the Obama administration against any proposed military strike on Syria," as the International Business Times reports.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/obama-team-thought-iran-would-not-tolerate-bashar-assads-use-of-wmds/article/2535328

H/T: Small Dead Animals

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2013, 08:47:42 AM »
  Now maybe he would rethink a nuclear Iran.This is why he needs to stop that in it's tracks.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2013, 10:40:43 AM »
This is not going to end well.

I know, understatement of the year...

::unknowncomic::