Author Topic: A shocking list of movies I've never seen  (Read 8233 times)

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
Re: A shocking list of movies I've never seen
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 06:24:21 AM »
Wasn't Tyrone Powers a queer?

You'd have to convince his wives and kids of that . Errol Flynn was accused of the same thing . Charles Higham is the scandal-mongering , lying a$$hole who came up with that stuff . No , Power was not queer .

As an interesting aside , you can look up photos of his son , Tyrone Power Jr. , on the net and the resemblance to his father is down right spooky !

charlesoakwood

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 11:35:55 AM »
Errol Flynn had a dog track at his home which he and friends enjoyed.
He substituted fur for the rabbit.  He never had a dog in the race.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 12:15:42 PM »
I've never seen Debbie Does Dallas.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 08:11:44 PM »

Animal House--haven't seen it and don't need to at this point.  I've seen so many references and clips of it.  I know the highlights.

Saturday Night Fever--see above.  Like Trap I did see Urban Cowboy.  Not sure why.  And I too went to Gilleys.

The Sound of Music--saw as a teen with my brother at the cheap movie place and laughed all the way through it.  Watched as an adult and appreciated the value of old fashioned movie entertainment.  First movie I got on VHS.

Grease--not really sure if I've actually seen this all the way through to the end.  With daughters involved in skating and dance I'm sick of it.  Every show/recital director thinks a show with a "grease" theme will be fun.  I hate it.

Shrek--funny, but I found it kind of creepy too.  Didn't bother to watch the sequels.

Austin Powers--NO INTEREST!

Apocalypse Now--see above--so many clips and references, almost like I've seen it.

The Simpsons--not a cartoon person.

Seinfeld--over heard one or two when hubby watched. 

Friends-- I'm proud to say I never watched it.

Sopranos--didn't feel the need to get involved in it.

Survivor--never seen it but read the bio of the guy who created it.  Interesting story--he was in the British military (maybe a paratrooper-can't recall for sure).  He got out and went to visit a friend in L.A. on the way to South America for a security gig.  Had no money but stayed in L.A. selling junk on Mahattan Beach. Saved up enough to push himself forward to another venture.  Eventually as an athlete he decided it would be cool to make a show about extreme sports in exotic locations and convinced ESPN or some other network to do it...and from that came Survivor. 

Here's AFI's 100 greatest movies (not without its own controversy):

http://www.afi.com/100years/movies10.aspx

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2012, 08:25:14 PM »
I tried, but I just CAN'T do musicals..........except the original Blues Brothers.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2012, 08:52:47 PM »
I tried, but I just CAN'T do musicals..........except the original Blues Brothers.

I dislike more than I like BUT

after hearing 1776 a dozen times because my daughters love it I can quote it and sing some of it.  To their dismay I haven't watched it all the way through yet.

Also, I liked Enchanted.  It was funny in the way it poked fun at the whole Disney princess & musical theme.  Love the scene where the princess begins to sing in Central Park and Patrick Dempsy's character wants to know how the others know the song too.  I've watched this movie more than once.

Also, love Blues Brother, I think because it's funny not just a musical.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Miltrainer

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2012, 10:19:19 PM »
OK, I have to post on this one. I've seen all the movies that IDP has posted. In regards to the TV shows, Seinfeld I didn't start watching till about the third season. After that I watched about half of them. The did however start to decline the last year. There were Seinfeld classics like "The Contest" which was hilarious. Another one was with the line: "Not that there is anything wrong with that!"  which referred to homosexuals. I have only seen a couple of Simpson episodes. Kind of wanted to watch, but I didn't want my daughter to see the adult humor. Now it's just too late and they have gotten old.

For movies; I don't like Bogart movies. I've seen most of "Cain Mutiny" , "African Queen" and "Casablanca". He bores the Holy Hanna out of me. Actually, Most actors back then, I thought, were terrible. The only actors I liked back then were Spenser Tracy, Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant and Henry Fonda. Most of the actors seem to over act back then.

Speaking of movies we haven't seen; what other movies have people NOT seen that were really popular? I can't think of any that were released in the past 35 years that I haven't seen. I'm speaking about the movies that were watched repeatedly and have multiple memorable quotes in them.
You want the truth?....You can't handle the truth!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2012, 11:17:37 PM »
Speaking of movies we haven't seen; what other movies have people NOT seen that were really popular?

Rocky Horror?  Cult classic; watched a few minutes and that was all I could stand.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2012, 11:49:38 PM »
Like Trap I did see Urban Cowboy. 

Just to clarify...I have not seen Urban Cowboy.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2012, 06:35:36 AM »
Those last two are kinda gay.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 07:24:38 AM »
Blues Brothers, Rocky Horror, and Urban Cowboy are also all popular movies that I have not ever seen.

Also never saw Top Gun or Days of Thunder.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2012, 07:29:00 AM »
Top Gun is over the top, and the whole love interest side story and poor daddy...  ::puke::

As one who worked in hanger #1 at Mirimar I would have liked a better representation of Fightertown USA (the training shots are OK), and certainly a better actor than that dwarf Tom Cruise...I usually make it a point to avoid anything he happens to be in, so Days of Thunder will remain unwatched by me.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2012, 08:41:13 AM »
Caddyshack even?

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2012, 08:51:34 AM »
Caddyshack even?

Wow, another I haven't seen.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2012, 09:36:04 AM »
I thought I was bad, pretty much tuning out everything over the past 10-15 years.  Mostly because this rings very very true for me...

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/jjmnolte/2012/01/02/top-10-ways-hollywood-can-win-its-audience-back/

This just nails it on so many levels.

But that's still no excuse to have never seen Caddyshack.  Your very maleness is on the line with that one.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2012, 10:38:09 AM »
Caddyshack even?

Caddyshack was way over-rated. Except for the standout performances by Bill Murray and Rodney Dangerfield it was horrible. Chevy Chase was seriously un-funny in his role and the balance of the acting was done by teenagers. Ted Knight was, well, Ted Knight so he was as you would expect but it was too little to make it as good as, say, Animal House.

So, IMO, you didn't miss much.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Miltrainer

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2012, 08:30:49 PM »
Caddyshack even?

Holy crap where were you during this time?  :o Caddy Shack was hilarious and Top gun was great to watch with the 5 in 1 surround on the big screen and loved the character Goose. Let me guess you never saw Platoon, Full Metal Jacket or Ghost Busters? How about The Holy Grail?
You want the truth?....You can't handle the truth!

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2012, 09:23:17 PM »
I HAVE seen all four of those miltrainer.

It's weird, I know. That's why I started the thread. I've been aware for a long time that there are movies considered almost universally seen and/or loved, that I just never got around to seeing.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 10:40:33 PM by IronDioPriest »

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
Maybe it would just be easier to ask which ones you have seen...  ::exitstageleft::

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2012, 09:40:36 PM »
Chevy Chase was seriously un-funny in his role...

I thought he was playing himself.  ;D