Author Topic: A shocking list of movies I've never seen  (Read 8277 times)

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
Re: A shocking list of movies I've never seen
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2012, 11:09:43 PM »
Actually, Most actors back then, I thought, were terrible. The only actors I liked back then were Spenser Tracy, Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant and Henry Fonda. Most of the actors seem to over act back then.

I have no problem with the actors you listed but you left out some of the greats . I'd say , with out equivocation , that actors like Brad Pitt couldn't hold Gable's athletic supporter . Ditto regarding Cagney , Cooper and Flynn . Also who were the actors who "over-acted" and in which films ?

charlesoakwood

« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2012, 11:52:15 PM »

Maurice Chevallier,
Vincent Price,
Rod Cameron,
Jeff Chandler,
Broderick Crawford.

Which films? Pick one.
Vincent Price did find his niche character.

Offline Miltrainer

« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2012, 09:48:40 AM »
Actually, Most actors back then, I thought, were terrible. The only actors I liked back then were Spenser Tracy, Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant and Henry Fonda. Most of the actors seem to over act back then.

I have no problem with the actors you listed but you left out some of the greats . I'd say , with out equivocation , that actors like Brad Pitt couldn't hold Gable's athletic supporter . Ditto regarding Cagney , Cooper and Flynn . Also who were the actors who "over-acted" and in which films ?
Cagney wasn't bad, Flynn was terrible. He was just a handsome man in tights. I hate to say it but Clark Gable was not that good. I seen most of Gone With the Wind. I was not impressed at all, yet Gable earned an Oscar nomination. John Wayne was not a good actor either.  He may have won an Oscar, but I feel he received it mostly for his age and that the role was written for him. Didn't look like an acting stretch. I do like watching his movies, but I don't think he is a great actor. I don't think Bruce Willis is a great actor but I love watching his movies like: The 5th Element. I have to disagree about Brad Pitt. He is a really good actor. He seem natural in front of the camera. I thought he did a super job in Legends of the Fall. He also pairs quite well with George Clooney.

James Cagney was was a good actor.... most of the times. I haven't seen much of Cooper films so I really can't say he was good or bad. It just seems that most of the actors in the 30's, 40's and 50's were melodramatic.
You want the truth?....You can't handle the truth!

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2012, 05:27:21 AM »

Maurice Chevallier,
Vincent Price,
Rod Cameron,
Jeff Chandler,
Broderick Crawford.

Which films? Pick one.
Vincent Price did find his niche character.

How about Broderick Crawford ( The others aren't on my list ) ... say ... " Born Yesterday " ( comedy ) or " All The King's Men " ( drama for which he won the Academy Award ) .

Gable may have been nominated for an Oscar in GWTW but he won for " It Happened One Night " ( 1934 ) . His style changed and became more gritty the older he got . He probably should have won for " The Misfits " ( 1960 ) his final film .

One needs to look at an actor's entire body of work before dismissing him completely . See Flynn in " The Roots Of Heaven " and " The Sun Also Rises " . Even Wayne's detractors when he was alive are changing their minds about his acting ability . He was capable of a lot more depth than he was previously given credit for .

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2012, 06:48:56 AM »
John Wayne was John Wayne, and that is just fine with me.

As far as actors who come up lacking, I don't think little Tommie Cruise could hold any of those older fellas jocks!  Talk about overrated!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2012, 07:05:24 AM »
Aitch - A - Double R - Eye

Gee - A - En spells Harrigan ...
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2012, 06:14:34 PM »

How about Broderick Crawford ( The others aren't on my list ) ... say ... " Born Yesterday " ( comedy ) or " All The King's Men " ( drama for which he won the Academy Award ) .

Forgot about "All The King's Men" , don't remember "Born Yesterday", how far he fell;
I was thinking of "Highway Patrol".

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2012, 11:39:06 PM »
Filed under "Movies I Wish I Had Never Seen" is the film adaptation of the Broadway (actually worldwide) musical, "Mamma Mia!"

First of all let me say that I actually like the music of ABBA. I didn't care for it at all when I was younger and it was closely associated with the disco genre. I despised disco and still do. But sometime in the last ten years or so I came to appreciate the musical and lyrical work of the Swedish pop group. I haven't seen and am not likely to ever see the live performance of "Mamma Mia" but Mrs. trapeze dragged me to see the horrid, wretched mess that is the film adaptation.

What made it truly insufferable? Pierce Brosnan's "singing." Brosnan is a mediocre actor at best but he is about as miserable a singer as you are likely to encounter. I mean that in all objective sincerity...he is worse than a lot of typical off key grade school singers. The plot of the musical is bad enough without being subjected to what can only be described as a form of low level auditory torture...the kind of thing that law enforcement might play in and endless loop in a hostage situation in order to drive the bad guys crazy. Certainly, being forced to listen to Pierce Brosnan sing is a human rights abuse. I swear I heard dogs baying outside the theater while this cretin was crooning...

Sharp, pointy fingernails on a chalkboard are more melodious. Yes, I would rather be subjected to that sound than be forced to listen to the musical stylings of Pierce Brosnan. It would be fun, by comparison, to have one's pubic hairs plucked one at a time with an intermittent splash of isopropyl alcohol and cayenne pepper thrown in for good measure.

But the movie is violently unpleasant on so many other levels because the story is basically unimaginative threadbare crap that is strung together for no other purpose than to exploit the music of ABBA and thereby make a buck. It is completely unsurprising in its plodding plot. They manage to make sunny Greece look boring and somewhat hostile as a vacation destination. I wanted to throw up several times during the interminable time that it was on the screen.

I cannot recommend in any more stronger terms that this is a movie that should be avoided at all costs. Your very soul is at stake here.

Run from it.

You would have more fun with an aggressive gonorrhea infection.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 12:24:58 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2012, 11:55:00 PM »
Trap......you really have a way with words...... ::laughonfloor:: ::rolllaughing:: ::hysterical:: my itchy groin doesn't seem so bad.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2012, 05:10:22 AM »

Forgot about "All The King's Men" , don't remember "Born Yesterday", how far he fell;
I was thinking of "Highway Patrol".

" Ten Four . Twenty-one fifty by "

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2012, 04:06:53 PM »
Filed under "Movies I Wish I Had Never Seen" is the film adaptation of the Broadway (actually worldwide) musical, "Mamma Mia!"

That is probably the best review of it that I've ever read.

I don't understand why they didn't run his singing through the autotune.

....or maybe they did

The story made no sense.  The time line for the characters didn't work----the main actors were too old for those parts.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

RickZ

« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2012, 04:30:23 PM »
Wasn't Tyrone Powers a queer?

I never heard about Tyrone Power being gay, but I did read about Errol Flynn being a bi-sexual spy.

From the always reliable Wiki:

In 1980, author Charles Higham published a controversial biography, Errol Flynn: The Untold Story, in which he alleged that Flynn was a fascist sympathiser who spied for the Nazis before and during World War II. The book also alleged he was bisexual.

RickZ

« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2012, 04:36:26 PM »
As far as dvd's go, I have very few of them, but I do have Animal House and Blazing Saddles (Airplane! being the one comedy missing from my trifecta).  I also have The Maltese Falcon and Casablanca on dvd.  They are always good for a watch when regular tv s*cks, which means I've seen those movies a lot.  What can I say I like Humphrey Bogart.  I want to buy the 6 Thin Man movies with William Powell and Myrna Loy.  That'll keep me happy for weeks.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2012, 06:25:20 PM »

If you like B&B try "The Big Sleep", I'm assuming you've seen "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glmdhH3aOug

The Thin Man series was smooooth.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2012, 09:31:13 PM »
  I want to buy the 6 Thin Man movies with William Powell and Myrna Loy.  That'll keep me happy for weeks.

yes, it will!  My daughter's favorite.

We never tire laughing over "please serve the nuts"

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2012, 03:34:18 AM »
Wasn't Tyrone Powers a queer?

I never heard about Tyrone Power being gay, but I did read about Errol Flynn being a bi-sexual spy.

From the always reliable Wiki:

In 1980, author Charles Higham published a controversial biography, Errol Flynn: The Untold Story, in which he alleged that Flynn was a fascist sympathiser who spied for the Nazis before and during World War II. The book also alleged he was bisexual.

If you've read Higham's book ( I did many years ago ) you'll see very quickly that he offers not a shred of evidence to back up his allegations . In fact quite a few authorities ( several with the FBI whose files are quoted in the book ) state categorically that the allegations of spying and bi-sexuality are blatantly false .

Higham is well known for hit pieces which supposedly out actors and actresses who are no longer around to defend themeslves . David Niven who was a close friend of Flynn during their early years in Hollywood and shared a beach house with him ( Cirrhosis By The Sea they called it ) was particularly insensed by the accusations . So were Flynn's ex-wives .
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 03:43:11 AM by Sectionhand »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2012, 06:30:38 AM »

If you like B&B try "The Big Sleep", I'm assuming you've seen "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glmdhH3aOug

The Thin Man series was smooooth.

Classic B&B in "To have and to have not" - " You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow."

They don't make 'em like that anymore...

charlesoakwood

« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2012, 10:38:35 AM »
( Cirrhosis By The Sea they called it ) was particularly insensed by the accusations . So were Flynn's ex-wives .

The popular saying "in like Flynn" didn't occur because of his associations with men.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2012, 11:21:16 AM »
( Cirrhosis By The Sea they called it ) was particularly insensed by the accusations . So were Flynn's ex-wives .

The popular saying "in like Flynn" didn't occur because of his associations with men.

::facepalm::

That didn't come from James Coburn?

;D

charlesoakwood

« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2012, 05:48:01 PM »

One could say Errol had a paternal investment in that movie.