Author Topic: A shocking list of movies I've never seen  (Read 8271 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: A shocking list of movies I've never seen
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2012, 12:37:29 AM »
Top 25 SciFi Movies. I confess that I have seen all but two of them.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2012, 01:12:07 AM »

Scored 18 on the list, I'm surprised.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2012, 03:42:13 AM »
A friend of mine played one of the crewmen in "Forbidden Planet" .

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2012, 06:46:41 AM »

The robot?

;D

Jus' yanking yer chain!

;)

I never saw Metroplis, Brazil or Moon.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2012, 07:26:15 AM »
17 out of 25, but ....

I've only seen the original "Thing".

And what's up with "Serenity" not being on that list either?!  ('Course the list is from 2010; when was "Serenity" made?)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 07:30:28 AM by Pandora »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2012, 08:33:55 AM »
I never saw Metroplis, Brazil or Moon.

Yikes.  

Metropolis is worth watching just because of the time it was made. Not a great story, but visually appealing, and offering an interesting view of the future in that time

Brazil. Terry Gilliams Best.  Absolutely brilliant and entirely depressing. It is our future.   Make sure you watch the director's cut and not the pie in the sky, made for tv ending

Moon I saw only recently. Entertaining. Not sure about its inclusion in this list.

Adaptive Curmudgeon is also making lists

District 9 bsolutely doesn't belong there at all. Good premise, well done special effects, awful execution.

I am 24 out of 25, and that is because I refuse to see Avatar.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 08:42:18 AM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2012, 09:16:07 AM »
17 out of 25, but ....

I've only seen the original "Thing".

And what's up with "Serenity" not being on that list either?!  ('Course the list is from 2010; when was "Serenity" made?)

I think we should make our own list.  The movies on that list were good, but more of them were  "this is so embedded in the culture that you really should have watched it so you will understand when others make referrences to it"

And the Fifth Element didn't make the list? What?

However, the  completely missed most of the "cult" films and sleepers that really cool people ( like me)  will make references to, some we have already discussed.  Serenity is in that group:

Serenity
Zombieland
Brazil ( The Director's cut)
Blade Runner ( Director's Cut. Loosing the voice over at the beginning TOTALLY  changes the meaning  of the  film)
Battle: Los Angeles. ( Astounding! Real Military Heroes in a Hollywood film)
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure ( Stupid. Funny. And the ONLY FILM that treats time travel intelligently)
Buckaroo Banzi: Across the 8th Dimension (A list stars. B-list movie.  Really very creative. Based on a book its hard to get a copy of, and yes the book is better)
Highlander (There can be only one!)
Akira ( The Anime that began all Anime - No its doesn't make sense. Shut up and watch)
The Army of Darkness (Yeah you should probably watch the perfectly awful "Evil Dead II" first. But who doesn'tlike watching Bruce Campbell get beat up?)
Heavy Metal - (Okay, this might have more to do with me still being 12 at heart)
Gattaca (There is no gene for the human spirit)
Dr. Strangelove ( You are going to have to answer to the Coca Cola company)

I also have some guilty pleasure films. They aren't great works of art, but they sure entertain me.
Flash Gordon - yeah the Queen soundtrack one from the 80s.  I just like it.
Starship Troopers -  Denise Richards at her cutest and Zerg battles. What is not to like?
Tremors  - (Guess this means we have to stop making fun of Burt's lifestyle)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 09:32:28 AM by Weisshaupt »

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2012, 09:27:06 AM »
Right!  Fifth Element should have been on there, imo.

I have seen two of your list, Weisshaupt; I guess I have not been properly culturally indoctrinated.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2012, 09:30:41 AM »
I am 24 out of 25, and that is because I refuse to see Avatar.

I should be claiming 25/25 but I only peeked at a pirated copy of avatar and didn't finish it. Instead of lavishing praise on two of the Alien series I would have subbed "The Fifth Element" as a Bladerunner with a sense of humor.

Growing up I loved Sci-Fi. It stimulated my imagination like nothing (except chasing girls) could. I could lose myself in a Sci-Fi movie - or an old-time monster movie with the lingering effects lasting long after I left the theater. Watch a cute little film called "Matinee" - that's me (the kid, not the John Goodman lead character).

At last count my video library held over 350 titles. Obviously I love Sci-Fi! For me it is the ultimate in escapism - and with the world turned sick & sour I think that's where I'll go hide.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
I know I go completely against the grain. I am an avid sci-fi fan. And I do not like "The 5th Element."
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2012, 09:37:52 AM »

My eldest brother stumbled into an opportunity to work as an extra in a John Wayne movie. I think the title was "McQ" My brother didn't even like movies, but it was a couple of bucks for he and a buddy. There's about 3/4 of a second of him in a street shot.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2012, 09:41:04 AM »
For me it is the ultimate in escapism - and with the world turned sick & sour I think that's where I'll go hide.

Lately I have been watching a lot of MST3k on Netflix to escape. My kids even watched the Gamera ones with me!

Gamera is really neat
He is filled with Turtle meat
we are eating Gamera!

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2012, 09:42:12 AM »
Hmmm.

Haven't seen

District 9, Avatar (got a coupon with the purchase of my last BlueRay player...threw it away) Brazil, I guess only 3

I just watched Metropolis last month for the first time.  I'm starting to figure out that the movies from the 20's can be much more adult than the post Hayes Code 30's.  Metropolis actually had some see though costumes  :o

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2012, 09:43:21 AM »
I have seen all but two on Weisshaupt's list...Highlander and Akira.

Tremors is one of the all time best in campy scifi monster movies. The interaction between good old boys Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward is great but watching Michael Gross and Reba McEntire as over-the-top survivalists empty about 5000 rounds into a monster in their basement is worth the price of admission all by itself...

[Burt Gummer, with his wife Heather at his side, berates the dead monster fought off with their "family arsinal"]
Burt Gummer: "Broke into the wrong God damn rec room, didn't ya you bastard!"

[Burt Gummer looks at his bomb shelter for perhaps the last time]
Burt Gummer: "Food for five years, a thousand gallons of gas, air filtration, water filtration, Geiger counter. Bomb shelter! Underground... God damn monsters."
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2012, 09:48:09 AM »
Brazil is one of the best (if not the best) dystopian future movies ever made. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2012, 09:57:33 AM »
Army Of Darkness is probably the best B movie scifi/horror/fantasy genre film of all time...well, certainly the best I've ever seen. If there was any justice in Hollywood (but there isn't) Bruce Campbell would get some kind of lifetime achievement award for his body of work.

I loved the ending...

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2012, 10:02:49 AM »
I would put "Dark City" on the list of my favorite scifi films.

From a story telling point of view, "Heavy Metal" was a mess. The animation was pretty good, though, for the time that it came out and the soundtrack is first rate...it's the only movie soundtrack to make it onto my mp3 collection...

"Heavy Metal" (Original Version) (Sammy Hagar) (3:50)
"Heartbeat" (Riggs) (4:20)
"Working in the Coal Mine" (Devo) (2:48)
"Veteran of the Psychic Wars" (Blue Öyster Cult) (4:48)
"Reach Out" (Cheap Trick) (3:35)
"Heavy Metal (Takin' a Ride)" (Don Felder) (5:00)
"True Companion" (Donald Fagen) (5:02)
"Crazy (A Suitable Case for Treatment)" (Nazareth) (3:24)
"Radar Rider" (Riggs) (2:40)
"Open Arms" (Journey) (3:20)
"Queen Bee" (Grand Funk Railroad) (3:11)
"I Must Be Dreamin'" (Cheap Trick) (5:37)
"The Mob Rules" (alternate version) (Black Sabbath) (2:43)
"All of You" (Don Felder) (4:18)
"Prefabricated" (Trust) (2:59)
"Blue Lamp" (Stevie Nicks) (3:48)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 10:06:56 AM by trapeze »

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2012, 10:07:33 AM »

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2012, 10:09:17 AM »
Good Lord. I just had a post almost ready of my personal list of top 25 - I had compiled it and was thoughtfully placing it in order - and something happened to the page. Blew it away. Save often, save often, save often...

::falldownshocked::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2012, 10:13:08 AM »
I would put "Dark City" on the list of my favorite scifi films.

Yeah, I almost included Dark City and Repo Man. But now you are moving out of cult and into films that attract a very unique audience.
Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog  and A Scanner Darkly (another Philip K Dick) , would be others  in that category.  When my kids are old enough I am making them read a Scanner Darkly just so they are never inclined  to do drugs. Ever.

Update: Oh Escape from New York, And Total Recall ( Another Philip K Dick...) 

From a story telling point of view, "Heavy Metal" was a mess.

Heavy Metal has a story? Shoot, I guess I should watch it again and see if I can find it.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 10:36:41 AM by Weisshaupt »