Author Topic: Police: 14 dead in Colorado theater shooting  (Read 12540 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Police: 14 dead in Colorado theater shooting
« on: July 20, 2012, 06:24:40 AM »
AURORA, Colo. (AP) — A gunman opened fire early Friday at a suburban Denver movie theater on the opening night of the latest Batman movie "The Dark Knight Rises," killing 14 people and injuring at least 50 others, authorities said.

The gunman, who is in custody, stood at the front of the theater and fired into the crowd about 12:30 a.m. MDT at a multiplex theater in a mall in Aurora.

"Witnesses tell us he released some sort of canister. They heard a hissing sound and some gas emerged and the gunman opened fire," Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates said at a news conference.

Police, ambulances and emergency crews swarmed on the scene after frantic calls started flooding the 911 switchboard, officials said.

Officers came running in and telling people to leave the theater, Salina Jordan told the Denver Post. She said some police were carrying and dragging bodies.

Officers later found the gunman near a car behind the theater.

"A gas mask, rifle, handgun at least one additional weapon (were) found inside," he said.

The suspect was taken into custody, but no name was released. Oates said there's no evidence of any other attackers. There was also no immediate word of any motive.

The suspect spoke of "possible explosives in his residence. We are dealing with that potential threat," Oates said

Police were at the Denver-area apartment and had evacuated other residents of the building. Oates did not say whether any explosives had been found.

He said police also checked for explosives in the parking lot and at the Century 16 theater and secured those areas.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Police: 14 dead in Colorado theater shooting
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 06:35:10 AM »

Ah yes. Aurora. Anyone care to play "guess that race?"

Aurora is on Denver's east side and is Colorado's third-largest city with 327,000 residents. It is home to a large Defense Department satellite intelligence operation at Buckley Air Force Base, as well as The Children's Hospital, the University of Colorado Hospital and a future Veterans Affairs hospital.

Here is another interesting fact about Aurora

as compared to say, Colorado

I know, That is RACISSST!!!!!

« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 06:47:15 AM by Weisshaupt »

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 06:51:22 AM »
The shooter is in custody, but police haven't released his name?  Unh hunh.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 06:53:14 AM »

Police now have now apprehended a 24-year-old male and recovered a gun after the shooting at approximately 12:39 a.m. CT at the Century 16 Movie Theaters at the Aurora Town Center in the Denver suburb.

Race not mentioned. Hmmmm..  ::thinking::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 06:55:34 AM »

Police now have now apprehended a 24-year-old male and recovered a gun after the shooting at approximately 12:39 a.m. CT at the Century 16 Movie Theaters at the Aurora Town Center in the Denver suburb.

Name not mentioned.  He's not a minor, so what's the holdup?

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 07:54:04 AM »
James Holmes, 24
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 07:56:33 AM »

Got to go through his computer for the anonymous postings this guy leaves. Psychoanalyze his last months plotting the incident etc...

Name not mentioned.  He's not a minor, so what's the holdup?
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 08:08:15 AM »

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 08:14:45 AM »
I'm calling it right now, and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Shooter was Black, picked White victims.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 08:31:25 AM »
I'm calling it right now, and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Shooter was Black, picked White victims.

Yeah, we loose this round.  Drudge is claiming as White.
But hey, when the odds are stacked, you go with the odds.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 08:48:38 AM »

Its the rights Fault!

Right on Cue.

Rush's Statements in this case were admittedly pretty stupid.

1) The Bain character has existed since 1993  and this Batman movie began filming over a year ago, and scripts existed long before that
2) The Batman Movies have been some of the most conservative films to come out of Hollywood in recent times
3) The movies are faithful to a Batman characterization given by Miller in the late 80s, and the original incarnation of the superhero

One of the comments implies a lot of right wing reading material at the home.  It could be "one of us" finally lost it. But going after a crowd of children watching Batman? WTF?
Or its just probing to see how people will react to the "home grown, right wing terrorist"

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 08:52:00 AM »
Why I don't live in big cities.

No kidding. I moved to small town in Colorado to get away from crap like this.

Incidentally, my twelve year-old daughter wanted me to take her to the midnight showing of Batman. I was too tired. In my theater, though, a lot of the audience would be packing heat.

The last thing Colorado needed was another mass killing. I can't wait for the inevitable political fallout. I hope that Romney has the in smarts to mention how many people have been killed in gun control happy Chicago this year....I hope he can find a way to compassionately mention that tragedies such as these are one of the prices to a free society.

I have been putting off getting my CCP renewed because of time constraints. I guess I had better push that to the front of the priority line.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 09:03:32 AM »
One of the comments implies a lot of right wing reading material at the home.  It could be "one of us" finally lost it. But going after a crowd of children watching Batman? WTF?
Or its just probing to see how people will react to the "home grown, right wing terrorist"

People who commit mass murder are insane by definition regardless of political affiliation. And yeah, that includes muslims. They just happen to have an insane religion to go with their murderous personal insanity.

Personally, I think that if you wanted to play the left's game of blaming things like this on exterior influences you could go after any number of left wing produced violence fests on television or in the movies.

But, that's not right.

The guy is insane. Insane people commit mass murder. That's really the only answer to this story. Looking for deep reasons...trying to understand the mind of a homicidally crazy person is pointless...futile. Assigning political motivations (which has been started by the left while the bodies are still warm) is beyond sick.

I mean, had the guy been muslim I wouldn't have been surprised or anything because it's an insane religion. Had the guy been a new black panther party member I wouldn't have been much less surprised because of the insane nature of that organization. That the guy happens to be white means little to nothing. He is crazy.

So, no, I would never buy into him being "one of us." We aren't crazy nutzoid as a group and should never allow anyone to paint us that way.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 09:41:58 AM »
On the other hand, he didn't kill all these people by himself. Somewhere along the line there had to be an influential public school teacher, a charismatic black president...

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 09:55:15 AM »
Those ABC a$$holes , Brian Ross and Stephanopolis , are already checking to see if the guy is a Tea Party member !  ::gaah:: ::gaah:: ::gaah::

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 10:57:58 AM »
Of course they are.  I know he is not, just from the MO.  When and if a Tea Party type finally loses it, they will go after worthwhile targets. Not a bunch of random people in a movie theater.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 11:10:11 AM »
I'm not sure I care for them jumping to publish an article that has "Could Be" in the title, but yeah anyway it's looking like the guy is a registered Democrat from San Diego.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/07/20/Exclusive-Dark-Knight-Shooting-Suspect-James-Holmes-Registered-Democrat

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 11:27:19 AM »
Of course they are.  I know he is not, just from the MO.  When and if a Tea Party type finally loses it, they will go after worthwhile targets. Not a bunch of random people in a movie theater.

I agree. 

I got the feeling that's what Andre Brevik (sp?) believed he was doing.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 12:02:04 PM »
Those ABC a$$holes , Brian Ross and Stephanopolis , are already checking to see if the guy is a Tea Party member !  ::gaah:: ::gaah:: ::gaah::

And once again, they are wrong as hell:  http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/07/20/Exclusive-Interview-With-James-Michael-Holmes-Colorado-Tea-Party-Member and http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2012/07/20/It-Begins-ABC-Ross-Stephanolpoulos-Point-to-Tea-Party-for-Dark-Knight-Shooting

UPDATE: The James Holmes arrested at the Aurora theater was 24 years old and seems to be from Denver, CO, according to a Facebook profile (a similar Facebook profile linked by a local news reporter has not been confirmed as the suspect's profile, either). There are many people with the name "James Holmes" in the area, and the James Homes on the Tea Party website could match a James Homes from Aurora, CO who is in his fifties and therefore does not fit the description of the suspect. More evidence that Ross, Stephanolpoulos and ABC rushed to blame the Tea Party without confirmation that the suspect is also the Tea Party member.

UPDATE: When ABC News corrected its initial report, it tried to spread the blame around to "social media" and "members of the public":

An earlier ABC News broadcast report suggested that a Jim Holmes of a Colorado Tea Party organization might be the suspect,  but that report was incorrect. Several other local residents with similar names were also contacted via social media by members of the public who mistook them for the suspect.

It has since issued a more straightforward apology:

An earlier ABC News broadcast report suggested that a Jim Holmes of a Colorado Tea Party organization might be the suspect, but that report was incorrect. ABC News and Brian Ross apologize for the mistake, and for disseminating that information before it was properly vetted.

Developing...

- Yours Truly